your go to call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by 11-87 killer, Feb 20, 2015.

1. duckcommander 101

duckcommander 101 Elite Refuge Member

Daybreak Calls Custom Slate made out of hackberry

2. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Red Wasp was the one..
    I dunno why, but all the others after that one don't sound the same.
    used it for 5 seasons

Executioner 2 Hooks
    Warbird Boneyard Ridge

3. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Old Lohman box call and Mad hatter slate call for me.

4. NC Ducker

NC Ducker Senior Refuge Member

If only one it would be a red wasp, that being said, I use more and get more satisfaction out of my wing bone.

5. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Anything I can get cheap from Cabela's bargain basement!!:dv:dv Our gobblers here in NE South Dakota aren't too sophisticated or I am just lucky. Since I started seriously hunting turkeys at the age of 65, I have been successful at calling in a gobbler every year I have been fortunate to draw a tag! I have a box call, a couple of slate calls, and a pocket full or diaphragm calls that I use from time too time thinking that a little variety will keep them from being so suspicious and whatever I have been doing seems to work, eventually. I would probably be just as successful just sitting there and waiting for one to walk by or come to investigate my decoys, but I get bored if I don't have something to do, and I might fall asleep and hurt myself falling off the stool!!:yes:yes

LL

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Yeap kind of like duck calls more for the hunters to spend their money on.
    I don't call much, just a bit to get their attention.
    I've heard guys calling like every five minutes, think they scare the birds off more often than not. Maybe every twenty minutes to a half hour at most but not every five minutes..:l

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Dang. If I don't have one coming in thirty minutes, I'm moving on him to try to find a spot he'll feel better about.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Patience is one of the best things you can have when your out there, they know the woods better than you do.
    Sometimes it pays to wait them out in a spot you scouted and saw birds in, especially the smarter birds that you keep on hearing Gobble but never can seem to find.

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Spent this last week calling sparingly but no toms...could have shot five hens and one bobcat but that is not in the regs. Our toms are very stoic right now. I salute those of you that have loud and dumb turkeys. :D

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

No doubt, deer hunting for turkeys can often be the most effective way to kill one. I've killed a few that way, and I've used that tactic quite a bit when guiding others. Now, I'm not saying there's a thing wrong with it, and I don't begrudge folks who enjoy it, but I don't care to ever shoot another turkey that way.

I've shot enough of them it doesn't bother me if I have a tag or two left at the end of the season. I'll certainly do it if trying to help someone else with a bird and conditions call for it, but if I'm hunting alone I'll keep moving around that bird until I find a spot where he'll break and come to the call, or I'll go look for another bird.

One of the great things about turkey hunting is the variety of ways one can measure a successful day. Some of my greatest hunts didn't end with a bird over my shoulder.

Here's the bird my son killed Saturday. Had to sit in one spot for 45 minutes, and it about killed me, but the woods were open and hens were everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015