your go to call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by 11-87 killer, Feb 20, 2015.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Boy shot a nice bird there, good day for all

I spotted this bird before the season a few years back and a few others like him.
    Chased him around for four days till I figured out where he liked to be and plopped my butt down there and waited, took two mornings but he finally came out to a clearing.
    Weighed out a bit over 25 lbs
    Figured I would go there and try to fill the other tag and shot another 20 lber in the same spot a day later.
    That was a good season.
    [​IMG]

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I'm with you Bill - I have ADHD in the turkey woods...I can see 200 trail cam pics of birds in the same spot at 11:30 AM for 10 days in a row and I will still be on the move by 8:30 AM if nothing is happening where I am sitting...:D

No way I am sitting in one spot for 5 hours, can't do it...

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Those MO birds do get heavy. You can pretty well tell when MO birds were established in an area down here. A mature native bird here is about 18 pounds on average, and they have a smaller fan. The area where my son shot that one had MO birds imported years ago, and birds over twenty pounds are common (that one was 21). Best bird I've had shot with me down here had 1-7/8 spurs, but he weighed a shade over 17 pounds. That area received a stocking of MS River Bottom birds seven years prior, and I'd bet he was one of the original birds. Killed several true limb-hangers there over the years, but none came close to twenty pounds.

4. bill cooksey

Ha. I still offer the advice to folks all the time to sit tight and wait them out if they're set on killing one in that situation, but I could no more do it than I could flap my arms and fly up to roost.

Have to admit though, if I knew birds were coming to a spot the same time every day, I'd schedule my rounds so I was there 15-20 minutes prior to their arrival. Only downside is the risk of bumping them on the way in, but I've learned to be pretty sneaky over the years.

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

That's our strategy - try to call them in first thing off the roost. If that doesn't work, try to get out in front of them. If that fails, go back to where we know they have been in the last few days.

for the OP's orig question, if I could only take one call to the woods it would be a Hooks Shockwave 2. I can get as loud as I need to and wind isn't a problem, and it gets very quiet as well. A diaphragm lets you keep your hands on the gun and avoids unnecessary hand movement when birds are looking right at you.

6. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

My "best" bird was my first bird. Over 25lbs (measured using the check in stations scales), 10.5", very thick beard, and 1.5" hooks. Killed in Pulaski, Tn. When I told my buddy (VERY long time hunter) about it, his exact words were "Well, congrats! Don't expect to kill a better one for a long time.".

7. bill cooksey

I rarely weigh a bird of mine anymore. Heck, I don't even really keep up with the beards. It's the spurs that stick with me. They're all cool, but the cool factor goes way up past 1.25 inches. Once they get 1.5, or better, I feel all warm and fuzzy when I see 'em.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Yeah that's why I had that one done, I don' have unrealistic expectations.
    I do enjoy it even if I don't shoot anything, just like duck/goose hunting came home lots of days skunked but just being out there is the good part for most of us.

9. bill cooksey

I rather work than take a "skunk" in a duck blind. It's on par with going turkey hunting and not hearing a gobble. Really wish I wasn't that way.

10. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

Yea I hate it when they don't gobble & come in quiet. That's how it was this morning all quiet then out of nowhere 2 gobblers walk right in, kapoww!!