Your long line storage

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by G.B. Jack, Jul 24, 2011.

1. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

What do you find best?
    I will be running longlines DOCtari. Longlines out of either a 17 or 14 tdb. It's been a while for me. Are people leaving the dekes attached and running them in Avery style decoy 12 slot bags?
    Un hooking the clips everyntime?
    Leaf bags, what works for your situation, or possible best for mine? In your opinion?

Also to add, how many dekes do you put on a line?

2. BigUglyGreenBoat

BigUglyGreenBoat Senior Refuge Member

I have tried the individual slot bags and they are time consuming when you're picking up. I got bags from Bed Bath and Beyond for $10. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13914788

I got different colors for different species so I know at a glance what I have. When empty, they are spring loaded collapse pretty easy to get out of the way. I have 1/4' diamond braid mainline and tarred line for droppers. I don't have clips so detaching them is not an option but I prefer it that way. It is not a job for a newbie that only hunts with you one day but I have been hunting with the same partner for a while and never have a problem. As long as you only pull the main line, tangles are minimal.

3. dankoustas

dankoustas Senior Refuge Member

I like keeping them attached, I just think its easier and quicker.

4. bearhunter

bearhunter Elite Refuge Member

I use the slotted bags and clip/unclip. Its not that bad and allows me to customize my spread each hunt depending on wind, weather, etc, plus you don't bang the hell out of your decoys this way.

5. phan6622

phan6622 Elite Refuge Member

I use leaf bags and leave everything attached accept the trailing anchor.. drop the lead anchor right in the bag and detatch the last anchor and clip the line to the leaf bag handle.

I use 3/8th rope.. "stiffest" I can find. Got the idea from Ryan at coastal wi outfitters.. he uses the doctari longlines with no problems.

we hunt with a buddy that uses slot bags. certainly will keep the blocks in better condition, but I use cheap plastic and I can pick up or put out 5 lines of 10 - 20 decoys each in 10 minutes.

6. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

I think I was with Ryan on his first layout hunt, great kid. How long are your droppers? Do you wind them or just throw em in?

Off by his relatives house on the eastern shore. I just texted him an hour ago. I just wanted to see what the new fads were, I've been out the game to long. I used leaf gas when I had my 21, but with a 17, I'll have a little less space

7. RingneckSlayer

RingneckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

No droppers, one big bag, lay em out real nice before we set. Mainline on a welding spool, as we drift, clip em on. Otherwise on shore I rig em up and drag em out.

My bluebills have dog leash clips and those stay right on line.

8. peterenzi

peterenzi New Member

I store them all hooked up. Use sea duck rigs with brass dog clips.. Use large canvas bag or the Avery big mouth bags.. It is just easier to deploy and haul them in quickly.. decoys get a little beat up. if you use a dog to retrieve you might want to make sure the drops are long enough so the dog doesn't get tangled in them.

9. puddle-head

puddle-head Senior Refuge Member

I also leave the decoys attached to the longline and just out out the whole thing in a stand up bag. I'm using 3/8 line too and it is great - few tangles and easy to handle even when temps fall below freezing. I don't have more than a 6 inch dropper which really helps reduce tangles as well

10. powder keg meg

powder keg meg Senior Refuge Member

32 gal. garbage cans. Drop the 1st weight in the can and tie the last weight to the handle.Can lay out or pick up 7 doz in about 10 mins.