Your medical records

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by The Other David, Jul 16, 2010.

1. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I understand and agree with the issue(s)/dangers of using multiple pharmacies (or doctors), thus, I pretty much use only one unless I know from my own questioning of my primary pharmacist, or doctor, etc, that it's not an issue. I also try to make sure that each doctor is aware of, or covered with appropriate record copies, of any other care. But I agree that's not all that common, from what I understand.

I also understand your point of how you might inadvertently know something about a condition I have, but you can't backstop everyone who has failed to consult with their doctor... or every ineffective doctor who has failed to ask his patients what (s)he should.

I've never seen a Pharmacist who had the time to go online to review every patient's medical record, other than what's on the pharmacy's computer system... have you? :scratch

2. DR CABELA

DR CABELA Banned

you can never be too careful

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Yep, no doubt. And it is indeed rare for someone to be engaged in their care as you are, unfortunately.

No, not in a retail setting. All the hoopla back in school was on 'clinical' pharmacy. They had us with 'teams' that didn't want us, didn't think they needed us for what was going on at the time(sometimes right), and are totally unrealistic in any real-world setting (though things are changing, some better some not).

However, some actually were objective enough to see our value, what we offered for the team and what we didn't and some pharmacists were objective enough to see likewise and that can rise above the typical doc/pharm bickering and result in great care for the patient.

I'm off track.....point being 'portion' and 'poking through' are debatable, as are realistic solutions. What I don't feel is debatable is that if pharmacists had more data at their disposal, patient outcomes would be improved. I also don't think it's debatable that there are distinct, separate issues here.

4. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

If I'm lying comatose in a ER I'd like the attending physician to be able to get my records ASAP.

But it should be my choice whether or not that data is in a national db and available.

5. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Thanks to my own insurance plan, most of my prescription coverage is through one of the mail order/internet giants. In fact they do pay close attention to my family's prescription history and make follow up inquiries (both themselves and the PPO "patient advocate" heh heh), however, I suspect their motivation is somewhat related to protecting the bottom line as opposed to our well being.

6. okie drake

Mail order pharmacy via PBM's are the scum of the earth and NO legitimate argument can be made to justify their existence or their practices (especially the technically illegal ones). Wonder if my thoughts are clear on that?:D

7. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I think I get your drift. :l

PBMs obviously do heavy marketing of themselves for "cost containment". The PBM that's an appendage of my PPO is even aggressively pushing their program to sell non-prescription items. Their program includes reduction of benefits should one decide to persist in having prescriptions filled through the local pharmacy.

Probably the only thing that PBMs appear to not do is compounding.

8. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Lets see.. I believe there was a mandate in the Balanced Budget Act.. (part of the changes to the health industry/medicare)

And I think there was some mandate in the Medicare Modernization Act...

I even think there was a mandate back in 1996...

This whole electronic medical records thing has been around a long time... What happens to the mandates? They just fade away... either they get defunded, or the law is changed, or there simply is no way to get it done...

You're kidding right?:l:l

Government is wondrous are reinventing the wheel... Ever hear about needing immigration laws? I guess we don't have any on the books now right?

Electronic medical records has been a talking point at least since Clinton. Sounds great but the fact is that whats really slowing it up is the insurance companies including the government...

Look at how long it took to get the NPI mandate done... they had to keep pushing the date back, not because of providers but because Medicare couldn't get on track.

Why?.. THEY didn't have an issue with my reply

Not the same thing but dependent for validity.

Its either a valid comparison or its not... you gave a comparison and then went on to say "its not the same thing":l...

that throws out the validity of your comparison.

Contradicting yourself again... no worries.. I'm used to it...:l

Depends on whether dimwit Susie is a physician or other medical provider and the records are from a patient under her care.

Nope.. I never claimed that they aren't the same...

I argue that this is the same process and ideas that have been legislated in the past...
    and the results will likely be the same... which will be more of the same...

9. okie drake

Don't have mandated e-records implemented though and with a time deadline, do we? Yes or no will suffice.

I'll also note that I already said this on the topic:
    See above, on two counts.;)

Or, they don't feel like wasting their time. And your reply was replied to BTW.

You claiming such when you're in a pickle? Yeah, that's happened a time or twelve.

Figured you could comprehend that by description, she's not. She's from the govt and she's here to help you (or others) make healthier food choices.

See way above, times 3 now.:D

10. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

Lets see: mandated? yes... various mandates with time lines

Implemented? Depends on how you define implementation....and how you (and more specifically how the Congress )define "what" exactly is a electronic health record system.

Yes it does...

The only one in a pickle is you... you're the one making a comparison and then going on to the invalidate that comparison.

Electronic Medical records are dealt with in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act...the healthcare bill didn't supercede HIPAA. In fact it was part of the previous legislations move toward EMR.

Yep.. you agree with me,,, then persist in arguing with me:l...Okie special.