Your most unusual GOOD duck/goose recipe

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, May 2, 2008.

1. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    Looks fantastic!

2. Geoduck

Geoduck Elite Refuge Member

Duck confit is where its at. Tender, tasty, easy to make. A great use for tough old duck or goose parts.

I do it with either duck or goose legs. Get any of your classic frech cookbooks and follow the recipe. Go easy on the fat. You can keep the stuff submereged in fat in the fridge for ages.

3. Bill McAdam

Bill McAdam Senior Refuge Member

Here's one I've used in the past and really like.

Yield
    4 servings (serving size: 2 skewers, 1/2 cup rice, and about 1 tablespoon peanut sauce)

Ingredients
    1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
    1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed (Subsititute 1 Canada Goose Breast)
    2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons light coconut milk
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
    Preparation

Preheat broiler.

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; cover and keep warm.

Cut steak diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine steak and hoisin in a bowl; toss to coat. Thread steak onto each of 8 (8-inch) skewers; sprinkle evenly with salt. Place skewers on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness (Shoot for Med Rare) . Sprinkle skewers with cilantro.

Combine coconut milk and remaining ingredients in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Serve with skewers and rice.

Also, I add a little Cilantro and finely diced Serrano Chile to the sauce to 'kick it up' a bit.

4. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

That sounds good also! :tu

Lately I have been using linguisa to to stuff the duck breast filets. Then marinade in Yo****os Gourmet sauce. Grill..very good.

The filets are butterflied and soaked in salted water, soy, lots of garlic and fresh ginger for 2 days prior.

I did one last night that I had fileted with the skin on. (young mallard)
    It was excellent.:tu

5. knobby384

knobby384 Senior Refuge Member

Without a doubt try the Morton salt website directions for "Deli style corned beef" just use goose or duck breast instead of brisket. It is a little time consuming (5 day curing in fridge) but well worth it. I mix a large batch of the cure before season and have it ready. I apply the cure, refridgerate for 5 days, and freeze till time to boil. This recipe has prompted responses such as "this makes shooting geese worth doing now!" and "this is better than store bought corned beef." Even non-game eaters will like this if you don't tell them what it is first (just ask my mother-in-law!!!):grvn

6. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

knobby384, Welcome to the refuge!! Glad to have ya aboard!!
    Corned duck, sounds pretty good.