Your not gonna believe this!

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Dizzy Duck, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Dizzy Duck

Dizzy Duck Elite Refuge Member

I was going to post this earlier but I became quite overcome ranting in another post about Kodak.

I was out late last night and got home about three in the morning. I had just climbed out of my vehicle when I heard a duck that seemed to be flying high or perhaps was a little off in the distance. I strolled on towards my front porch and heard the quacks again but this time it was a whole lot closer but still somewhat muffled. I spent five or so minutes peering into the dim lit night sky but "no cigar" on the Duck. I entered the house to find Tucker my Lab doing his famous "Gotta Go Out Dad" dance so I opened the patio door to let him exit and I heard the damn duck again. I stepped out and looked straight up to see what was to be a big silly Mockingbird quacking like a lust lost Suzy on the Marsh sitting on my satellite dish. I could not believe my eyes or ears. I've heard these things copy a lot of animals including cats but never a duck. He was perfect! Like the "Rich Little" of Mockingbirds. I even went and woke my wife to witness this but he had skedaddled when we returned.

Dizzy :grvn

2. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

That's funny right there.

We had some construction going on near a place I lived a while back. Some folks got angry that they were working through the night and called the cops. Turns out a mockingbird had picked up on the "back-up beeps" of the heavy equipment:l :yes

They are amazing critters.

3. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

I saw one on TV last night...there is some sort of bird in one of the rain forests that mimics the sound of a chainsaw!
    You need to catch that mocking bird and bring him with you out to the blind next season. :dv

4. SpoonSlayer

SpoonSlayer Senior Refuge Member

too funny....

same sorta thing happened to me a couple months ago. i thought the lord of all frogs was living in my backyard. it would wake me up late almost every night, and would always stop when i went outside. well, one night i went stealth mode around the side of my house, and sure enough, there's this mockingbird sitting at the top of our tree frogging away. i thought it was pretty cool. this bird sounded identical to a frog, just 5X as loud. thankfully, he dissapeared, or figured something else out to mimic, cause i havent heard him in a couple weeks.

5. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Elite Refuge Member

anyway to train those things :dv

6. 1Bullsprig

1Bullsprig Elite Refuge Member

LOL - I did that when the 'yotes were in the cows one night... she was NOT impressed! Hope you came out of that ok!

7. brdemkr

brdemkr Elite Refuge Member

I had a Eurpoean Starling doing a canada goose call in my backyard last weekend. I kept looking for the "geese" and finally located "them" in the sycamore disguised as a Starling.:l The bird was also mimicking a mockingbird, blue jay, fish crow, carolina chickadee, cardinal, and a carolina wren. He was pretty good!

But not as good as the bird on TV boykinbuddy was referring to (a lyre bird). Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

8. Dizzy Duck

That is unreal!

Dizzy

9. TL Decoy

TL Decoy Senior Refuge Member

Dizzy
    how did you ever explain to the wife, that you got home at three in the morning and you heard a bird on the porch that quacked like a duck. then you
    woke her up to let her listen to the bird on the porch that quacked like a duck.
    at 3AM

that would have been it for me. dog house for sure http://www.refugeforums.com/ubb/yes1.gif
    :yes

10. Dizzy Duck

"You hope she goes back to sleep and forgets about it" ....or.... "In the morning you tell her she must have been dreaming" Problem was that none of those worked! However; She was a good sport and took it like a woman should.......:dv

Dizzy