Your opinion of 20ga over/unders

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Alamosa, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

My fiance has been coming with us to the sporting clays range and has become interested in shooting. She shot a round with an Ithaca O/U 20ga and liked it. Unfortunately that gun is no longer made.
    We've been looking at some 20ga O/U's but there is a lot of footwork involved and many are too expensive for me. We have been shown a lot of Baikal's and she is not impressed with them. She really likes the Beretta Silver Pigeon. I want to show her a Citori Lightning Feather and a Franchi Veloce. I have never seen a Ruger red label but hope to soon.
    If anyone has an opinion, good or bad, on any of these I would like to hear it. Also, if I am overlooking any make I would be interested in hearing about that also.

2. bignate

bignate Elite Refuge Member

Any of those guns would be a great choice...just get the one she likes the best:D You also may want to get her a 12 gauge and just get a full set of gauge reduction tubes(if you can afford it) that'll make her gun much more flexible.

If you don't know what I mean these are tubes that go in each barral and let you switch the gun from 12 gauge to 20 and all the way down to .410.

3. Cappy_TX

Cappy_TX Elite Refuge Member

Alamosa ... My wife Carol shoots a Citori 20 ga w/26" bbls for upland over the Setter and loves the gun. She also shoots a Win 23XTR SxS 20 gauge equally well.

Two seasons back, she switched from a 12 ga 11-87 for ducks to a Beretta AL-391 Urika 20 ga. She now uses that gun for upland, ducks and clays. It handles light to heavy loads interchangeably with no jams. The recoil is lighter than any other semi I've ever shot and the gun weighs a mere 5-1/2 lbs. I'd sure urge you to look at that model and you'll also find it several hundred $ less than a Citori or other decent O/U.

4. DiverJoe

DiverJoe Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a Weatherby Athena on upland game and it is a great little gun. It has a 3" chamber and to date I have only shot one duck with it tho. But anyhow the Athena is a great little gun. Kinda pricey tho. Have you ever checked out Stoger firearms? Those arent very expensive and if she doesnt like the gun after all you could always trade it off or sell it.