Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Your Opinion's

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Cupped 'KILLeR', Jan 11, 2006.

1. Cupped 'KILLeR'

Cupped 'KILLeR' Refuge Member

next year i will be my last year of high school, and i no i still got some time but im really lookin into taxidermy for a carrer. not a full time shop but more of a competetion taxidermist, yea i would love to run my own business, but im lookin more into show work! ive been lookin at the academy of wildlife art in Peenslyivaina but im not for sure about it all yet. i no its gotta be a good school but is it what im lookin for, for what im wanting to do? i would really love to hear any ideas or input yall have for me. what kinda options are out there for me?:z

2. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

Jason Snowberger is a friend of mine and has the best school out there.

You mentioned you don't want to be a commercial taxidermist but want to be a competition taxidermist? I hope your family has plenty of money or you have a side career picked out. All of the best taxidermists in the world who hold all the titles aren't making a living off competition. They are either tied into a taxidermy supply business, run a school, or have side jobs that afford them tons of time to work on competition pieces. I have talked to Gary Bruch several times and there is no telling how many hours he puts into ONE fish mount for competition. I saw Jason's cougar mount that won the WTC while he was working on the forms and he had already put weeks of work into it before he even started putting the piece together.

BTW, with all that work you are doing, do you hold a KY taxidermists license? Lots of folks out there don't and they seem to be attracting some attention.

3. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

4. Duckboyoregon

Duckboyoregon Elite Refuge Member

You couldn't possibly pick a better place to learn - that is where I was trained, been back many years in a row to keep up on the latest. He teaches wire frame, very few people use it - which is strange because its far easier and more accurate than foam bodies ( in my opinion ) each frame is built to the exact specifications of the bird your mounting, rather than a pre-fabricated foam body that may be slightly to big or too small. Anyway, money well spent, best investment you'll make...however, I know Patrick personally, and not certain he's taking on students anymore - I would definately ask him. If you don't or can't use Patrick, then you can take lessons from Glen Browning - he's in Canada, but will teach you the same method. You can visit his website at http://www.birdtaxidermist.com/about_glen.shtml

Good luck

5. Cupped 'KILLeR'

BTW, with all that work you are doing, do you hold a KY taxidermists license? Lots of folks out there don't and they seem to be attracting some attention.[/QUOTE]
    yeah my dad has his renewed every year, and last year was the first year i purchased mine.:D

6. slycoot

slycoot Senior Refuge Member

How much do they cost?

7. Cupped 'KILLeR'

i think dad pay around 40-50$ for both of ours!

8. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

KY taxidermist license are $125 per year.

9. Cupped 'KILLeR'

i dont no about that, from what my dad told me there wernt that expensive, i dont think he would have paid that much for mine. ill ask him though, plus you can mount up to so many amimals per year befor you have to obtain your liscens, but i did quit a few more then that, these last two year, so ive had to have them

10. younggunz

younggunz Senior Refuge Member

i went to taxidermy school with mrdux and hes right. nobody is just a competition man, you couldnt survive. my buddy won the breakthrough award with a whitetail mount at our last convention and he had 200 hours in this mount. youd be hard pressed to get someone to buy that. im not trying to discourage you, if you do get a taxidermy education, charge for your work. dont set your prices based on what everyone else is charging. do good work, but get paid for it. these guys charging 100 bucks for a duck arent making any money i dont care what they say. good luck.