Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

YOUR Shot size choice

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by 1Bullsprig, Dec 12, 2008.

1. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I second this one, love the #1's on snows simply deadly. I often lead with a 2 and finish second and third shot off with #1's

Killer combo see
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hawk III

Hawk III Senior Refuge Member

kent 3" 1 1/4 ounce of 1's did this!! :)

[​IMG]

3. Tight Pattern

Tight Pattern Elite Refuge Member

4. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

1's worked great on our last snow trip we shot the 3.5 inch 1's out of imp kicks high flyers truly deadly good choice:tu

5. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

I shot 2 3/4 1 1/16 oz Kent #1's in Canada and it grinds them up just fine in the decoys. Of course you could kill them with trap loads at 25 yards. I shoot 2 3/4 because they are cheaper, kill them just fine and have less recoil which is nice because it keeps the gun in tight on the shoulder with less muzzle jump. Making second and third shots more effective.

The truth is that if you are a decent shot you can kill them with a 20 gauge and #2 shot if they are decoying well and its calm out.

In high winds I shoot 3" 1 1/4 oz BB's because you don't get the wind drift as badly. This is more important on 50 - 65 yard birds when they are not finishing or flaring hard. You would be suprised how far your shot drifts in a 25 mph cross wind at 50 yards.