Your Thoughts on Changing the Constitutional Amendment Process

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Floridaboy, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

Ok, I think we can agree that it is a bit too easy to get an amendment passed. What do you think we should do to change the process?

I have heard...

Make it mandatory to vote on the amendment in two successive votes.

Require 2/3 legislature vote and 3/4 county vote.

Any others...

2. Kevin Hall

Kevin Hall Senior Refuge Member

Actually, the biggest part of the problem is that it only takes 500K signatures to get an ammendment on the ballot. That amount (500K) was set long ago when Florida's population was much smaller. 500K was a much larger percentage of the population back then.

We need to update the ammendment process so that it takes at least 5 million signatures to get it on the ballot. :)

3. g8rvet

g8rvet Guest

Ratified by 3/4 of the counties will be the single most effective way to stop this horse hocky. Will give the sensible northern counties equal say. No offense to you poor conservatives living in the liberal zones. God Bless ya, just glad it ain't me.

I went in to an Orlando restaraunt that actually had some pretty good biscuits a few years back. I asked the Dang Yankee waitress if they had any cane syrup (to pay proper respects to a proper biscuit). She said they had all kinds in front of me. I said I wanted CANE syrup, not blueberry or maple. She said "No, What is cane syrup"? I said, dang I thought I was still in the south.

4. bacgreen7

bacgreen7 Senior Refuge Member

The majority of my county voted no on Amendment 9. I wish it were that way. I have kids and I am all for smaller class sizes but not when the cost is that high, I mean I was learned real good in the Florida School system.:D

5. D Duck

D Duck Moderator Moderator

There was not a single ammendment on the ballot that passed my smell test! These were ALL issues that should be handled in the legislature - that ensures equal representation like g8rvet describes. Putting issues like these on the ballots only takes advantage of the uninformed voters, which I would guess to be well over 70%. I still cannot believe some of these issues passed. Taxes will be going up in the future, someone is gonna have to pay for these new educational ammendments. Price of pork will go up as well.:mad:

6. Floridaboy

Since it was so easy to get them on the ballot and passed, maybe it would be just as easy to get them removed.

I wonder if it is the same process.

7. bacgreen7

bacgreen7 Senior Refuge Member

Ask Dragon at SDH, he seems to know alot about it.

8. Floridaboy

Sent an email to Representative Jim King asking how to repeal an amendment and received this response from his secretary:

"Dear Mr. Wilcox:
    The process for repealing a constitutional amendment is the same as one for establishing a constitutional amendment._ In Florida, citizens have the option to put a constitutional amendment on the ballot by collecting signatures on a petition._ Another option is to have legislators sponsor and pass a joint resolution that places a proposal on the ballot._ The people of Florida would then vote in the General Election on whether to repeal an existing amendment._ Once an amendment gets onto the constitution, it's not easy to get it off, especially if it was passed by a significant margin of the people's vote._

The first of the following Internet links is the section of the Constitution (Article XI) that deals with the amendment process._ The second is a step by step explanation of the citizen initiative process.

I hope this information is helpful and not too confusing._ Please feel free to call our office toll free at 1-888-861-9761 if you have questions.

Florida's Constitution, Article XI <http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?Mode=Constitution&Submenu=3&Tab=statutes#A11>

Division of Elections, Citizen Initiative Process <http://election.dos.state.fl.us/initiatives/index.shtml>

Sincerely,
    (I removed her name)
    Legislative Assistant to Senator Jim King"

9. cajunl

cajunl Guest

I have been lurking around for a while and decided to add my $ .02 to the subject. I agree on the 3/4 of the counties passing an amendment. I would like to see all counties represented equally. Not just the higher population counites near Tampa, Orlando, Miami, and Jacksonville accounting for so much power. If we keep adding a half dozen amendments to the Florida Constitution, before you know, it will be so watered down it will not even be worth toilet paper!

10. BushquackerfromSDH

BushquackerfromSDH Senior Refuge Member

How about an admendment that makes admendments deal with only people not PIGS!