Your thoughts on crossbows. Good/bad?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Jeffer, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Jeffer

Jeffer Elite Refuge Member

I was just curious about what everyone thought of crossbows?
    Should they be allowed in a regular bow season for example?

Personally I think they are cool and fun to shoot but it sort of ends there. I'd like to have one one day for target shooting , and simply to have one because I think they are neet but that's all.
    I guess what bugs me about having them included in the regular bow season is that my five year old son can shoot my friends crossbow and hit the target with regularity. The thing has a scope on it even. They take vertually no practice or dedication and seem to me as a way for the rifle hunter to extend their season without any effort involved. Is that right?
    Here in Ontario it seems that more people shoot crossbows than any other form of bow.

Maybe I come from the old school but they just seem too easy to shoot to earn the place in the woods that they have here.

P.S. My good friend uses one but he has a rebuilt collar bone that can't take the stress of even a compound bow.
    P.S.S. I also beat him in a shooting contest last fall with my recurve. :tu :D

Just curious.
    Jeffer

2. Golden Eye

Golden Eye Senior Refuge Member

Just my .02, but if you are perfectly capable of using a regular bow (recurve, compound), then you should not use a crossbow - to me, it is too much like a rifle.

BUT - if you are handicapped, and are basically not able to leave your vehicle, then yes, you should be able to use a crossbow. That is how the law is here in Idaho.

GE

3. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

I don't think they should be used during early archery seasons. I also don't like the draw holding devices for compound bows. I think they should be outlawed during archery season. With let off on modern bows reaching into the stratosphere, a draw holding device is a bit too much if you ask me.

Handicap folks should be allowed any means possible to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

4. Ole Mossy

Ole Mossy Elite Refuge Member

Same as here in Louisiana. That is the way I think it should be.

OM

5. BamaBuckshot

BamaBuckshot Elite Refuge Member

As of last month, we are now allowed to use a crossbow in Alabama. It can be used the entire time of the bow season (Oct. 15 to Jan 31). IMO, the reason they passed this is try to reduce the herd size. I don't plan on going out and getting me one. But there are a few guys I know, that are gun hunters, that plan on getting one to take advantage of the long bow season.

I really don't bow hunt as much as I use to. I went a total of 6 times last year and killed 3 deer. So I really don't see a need for me to get a crossbow.

6. theduckblind

theduckblind Guest

In NC, only handicap hunters are allowed....I think that's the way it should stay...crossbows have one heeluva range with 3 times the pull...:eek:

7. fallsflight

fallsflight Elite Refuge Member

Other than having one for target shooting like you mentioned I don't ever want to see them legalized for use in my state. The reason you have mentioned above is pretty much the same feelings I have toward them. The same yahoos that take their gun out once or twice a year and leave it in the closet, gun cabinet or wherever the rest of the year are the same goofballs that will be out there with a crossbow. Maybe, if there was a late season after all the other seasons were closed, but not before or during early bow or gun.

I spend way too much time getting prepared for bow/gun season to have some half-wit stumbling around the woods thinking he is joe cool of bowhunters taking shots that he shouldn't be taking and possibly wounding deer in the process and ruining my hunt.

Now, not all hunters that would use a crossbow fall into the above category, but many would. They would be the same lazy, inconsiderate, unsafe people that enter the woods every year with a gun. And every one knows they are out there. On one peice of property we hunt we have had to deal with these type of people for 2 gun seasons now. The key word is HAD, as I had a nice long talk with the land owner who won't be giving them permission next year. :D First season I explained their lack of hunting ethics directly to them and the fact that it had better change real quick. Guess they didn;t believe me as second season, same crap. Sorry boys, this isn't a three strikes and your out game. Your privilege being here has come to an end.

What worries me is these same slobs or people like them with dust of their crossbow that is sitting next to their dusty gun and go out and try to kill a deer. The deer deserve way too much respect for that to occur. Maybe if they had a late season after everything has closed. The crack pots around here most likely will be home in front of the tv as it would be too cold at that time.

People that have some sort of physical condition that does not allow them to shoot a compound or recurve, definetly deserve to use a crossbow for hunting, such as HITMAN and many others. People that still hunt even though a physical condition may cause them pain or discomfort are not the same sccewballs that try to fill their tag and thump their chest while proclaiming they are the king of the woods.

okay, I'm through. :nutz I just have a great deal of respect for the deer and am afraid what type of people with enter the woods with a CB if allowed to.

8. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

Why is it a big deal?

One fellow says too much like a rifle. Another guy says too many idiots in the woods. Another says it increases the shooting range too much.

It is a bow. It has the same less than 50 yards killing range. The higher poundage is reduced by the short stroke of the string. The penetration is reduced by the short, light bolt.

As for idiots in the woods. I'm stumped....everywhere I go that's not private property is chock loaded with guys who can't hunt and ruin other's chances. Even on the $2,000/year leases. They'd sit in the same tree as you if they thought you wouldn't pee on them.

Are there any positives to a cross bow? Easier to shoot? Acurate? Maybe more lethal shots and less dead deer in the woods.

I know a lot of deer hunters and everyone has at least one or two "got away" stories. The bigger the deer, the more likely it gets away. Most of those are from bow hunters. IMHO - We have a sport that probably kills 3 or 4 deer for every one put in the freezer. Maybe crossbows would reduce that for beginers?

9. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

Well guys some pretty interseting comments here, now I'll throw my .02 in. Long story short, I had a severe arm injury, multiple surgeries & it has snowballed into a big mess. I applied for a crossbow permit here in Pa. I'm suprised that I didn't have to give up my first born to get the permit, I talked to the local game warden about getting a permit & by his reaction you would have thought that I asked to sleep with his wife! Not only was the information he gave me wrong, he was dead set against the use of cross bows.

First off, IMO a properly tuned top of the line compound is far deadlier in the hands of an experienced archer. Yes the CB has 180 lb. pull weight, yes it shoots @ 320 fps., but the short stroke & short bolts peter out faster than a conventional arrow shot out of a compound.

At a local pro shop, they had a rep for Ten Point CB's, for the life of me I can't remember his name. He was shooting groups @ 60 yrds. The bolts were only about a 1/2"- 3/4" in the target. Great group yes, killing shot, no way!

Problem is some people will take a 50-60 or 70 yard shot with a CB. I know there are archers who will take a 50-60 yard shot with a conventional bow too. That aint me, I feel the effective range for a CB IMO is 30-35 yards, that is MY personal limit. With the short bolts, that is about the end of range for deep penetration from what I've seen, again my opinion. I have not used one enough or been around them long enough yet.

As for legalizing them across the board in all states, I don't know. One thing I will say when compounds first hit the scene, the traditional archers had a fit, same thing here I guess. My point is hunters should support other hunters, not be against them. There are enough groups out there already against us, sad to say but at times we as hunters can be our own worst enemy.

10. theduckblind

theduckblind Guest

I shot a 60 lb compound bow into a target...then i shot my crossbow into the same target - same distance...the crossbow bolt penetrated the same target twice as much if not almost all the way thru...:eek:

Just curious, with that test result, and I'm just asking....how can you say a crossbow isn't any more effective than a compound bow? You can see an arrow from a compound...no way you can see a bolt coming out of the shoot...if you can...ya got good eyesight!