Your thoughts on crossbows. Good/bad?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Jeffer, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Captain "T"

Captain "T" Senior Refuge Member

When I was looking into crossbows all the information I could find indicated that the maximum effective range of a crossbow was about the same as a compound bow...+40 yrds or so. Need less to say, I was somewhat disappointed. I have, however, seen a crossbow made from a leafspring of a car that could put a bolt through a 4 x 4 post at about 20 yrds...man that thing was cool, but I have NO IDEA how that guy ever pulled the bowstring back.

TDB just because you can't see anything doesn't mean we all can't. :p BTW...you know as well as I do that you can't pull a 60lb compound bow back...gurleymann:cool:

2. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

TDB, the CB was shot @ a standing deer target, as for saying they're more effective or not, it's proven that the bolt being shorter than an arrow & the short stroke of a CB causes the bolt to lose energy faster.

3. theduckblind

theduckblind Guest

Hitman, I never did that much reading up...I just assumed something coming out like a rifle shot had to be lethal for a long distance...makes sense though...

Capt. "T"...I remember SOMEBODY that was scared to shoot it....hmmm....:h

4. Swamp Bound

Swamp Bound Senior Refuge Member

My $.02 I don't like crossbows. Bow season is longer because it is harder to shoot a deer with a bow unless you are using a crossbow. They shoot flat, you don't have to judge yardage, and you don't have to hold the string back. Same with the string lock devices. I don't think they should allow scopes and inline muzzleloaders either. I know a lot of people disagree, but that is just my thoughts I am ok I have vented.

5. Captain "T"

Captain "T" Senior Refuge Member

Hey man...I'll admit it. That thing scared me a bit.

If you have to use a winch to crank the string back...heck I figured it would go through the target, the neighbor's house and hit the poor old lady walking her dog down the street before it would stop. :nutz

6. theduckblind

theduckblind Guest

Works better on cats...that way if you miss, it just goes into the ground...unless of course, you tree one, then ya got to shoot...nevermind, I'm getting carried away...:l

7. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

origionally posted by Theduckblind:
    "unless of course, you tree one, then ya got to shoot...nevermind, I'm getting carried away..."

Are you kidding me??!! I hope that is a joke!

Everyone knows that if you shoot a cat from a tree it could easily get caught up in the branches on it's way down. That is a waste of some good backstrap! :l

8. theduckblind

theduckblind Guest

Misfire, you must be talking big cats...I'm talking about the nieghbors' cats that love to make their bed on the hood of my truck.....:mad: :l ...ain't no meat on d'em little varmints...:no

9. ARMallardSlayer

ARMallardSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Don't care for them at all and would never own one.

But if someone chooses to use one, that's their business and really none of mine.

At least they are out there hunting..........

10. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

About 50% of the guys that I know that archery hunt,, use x-bow's... doesnt bother me at all! I personally use a compound and have been very succesful with it,, all the x-bow shooters say its too hard too draw a compound without getting busted..

Too that I say not so,, out of 5 deer shot with my compound all were within 15 yards and I was able to draw undetected on all of them,,, even when one was in a group of 8 all within 20 yards.

Hunter numbers are dropping in Ontario,, anything too keep more people hunting im all for it!