Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

your time fram on skinning

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by Duckboy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Duckboy

Duckboy Elite Refuge Member

I have notice on some of the stickys, we talk about injecting feet,allowing to dry. I skin and mount birds in one day. For those who have been doing this for some. Do you skin and clean on day, then mount the next day?

2. Cripplecreek

Cripplecreek Senior Refuge Member

I'm a part time/hobby guy & only mount 8 or 10 ducks a year. Nothing else. I'm slow. I usually skin birds one night, flesh & wash them the next night and freeze the skins in plastic boxes filled with water. I go ahead & try to do all of my skinning & fleshing not long after I get the bird so I can freeze them in the water & avoid freezer burn. When I'm ready to mount one I'll take it out, wash it one more time & finish the rest of the process.

3. Brad's Birds

Brad's Birds Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Personally I have "skinning days" and "mounting days"..... this separates the messy days from the clean days (also happens to correspond with "trash day"). I skin/wheel/wash several birds at that time.....I also remove my feet while skinning and inject them on the skinning days, that way I have only the mounting/painting to do on the remaining days.

4. stuffinducks

stuffinducks Elite Refuge Member

DB,

I will personally skin, flesh, wash, rinse and into the freezer day. Takes me about 2 to 3 hours to do this. This is done only during the weekdays.

I only mount birds on my days off.

It makes it nice to split things up, but kinda like Brad...I have my messy days and my clean days.

SD

5. TEX-O-BOB

TEX-O-BOB Senior Refuge Member

I'll get two to three birds out the night before and put them in cold water to thaw.
    The next day I'll have them skined fleshed and washed by lunch. Then I'll mount them and be done for the day.
    The only time I'll flesh and wash one day and mount the next day is if something buggers up my day and I can't get them done.

6. 2birdbrained

2birdbrained Senior Refuge Member

I also do birds in batches, a small handful at a time.
    I don't exactly think of it as messy days and clean days ... more as wet and greasy mess days or dry and sprinkly mess days.

And then there are the catastrophic mess days when I make habitats!

-N.