Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Your veiw on women hunting?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by swampswimmingshrek, Dec 5, 2006.

1. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

I'm curious why more women aren't into hunting. I'm finding they blame guys. They say they aren't invited. Some even said they were told its a guys thing its not for women. Well I wanna see what everyone has to say on this cause I was brought up with women that hunted and that is the type of women I want to marry so lets see what comments are out there.

2. North Mountain

North Mountain Senior Refuge Member

I'm a woman and I like hunting. I prefer fair weather pheasant hunting to all other types. Big game is heavy to pack out, duck hunting usually involves being cold and wet. Chuckar hunting you have to climb steep hills. So I have settled on my days afield with my dogs on crisp fall days chasing ditch chickens. Due to an injury I've had to give up most of this season but I'll be back.

[​IMG]

Laura

3. swampswimmingshrek

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My wife was a hardcore big game hunter.Mt. Goats. Archery Elk, Muzzleloader antelope, And a pile of mule deer racks with 6 measuring over 30 inches, hounds after bears and lion, and she never missed a spring bear hunt from age 12-30. She was a great rifle shooter( BYU rifle team:tu ) but not to good with a shotgun.
    She has backed off a lot.
    Her excuses are family obligations, the horses, too cold, too early, too tired, and some foot problems.
    Bascally shes too wound up from her job.:cry

5. swampswimmingshrek

Salthunter sorry to hear that! I have learned that life is getting to crazy and we all need to do more of what we enjoy. I know for one I have slowed down and just enjoyed the hunts I go on more then I was before. I guess I'm guilty of just being to busy also. No more though its not worth it. Life is too short. I can do with out the new truck or what ever.

6. WATERDOGS

WATERDOGS Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My girlfriend enjoys the dog the puppies and all that buts not really a hunter. She likes to Ski. I have no problem with girls hunting. I just kinda need that alone to me time.I am one of those people that likes to load a few dogs up and go and today I got to take three nice young dogs out and it was great. Just buy myself and the dogs. It gives me time to clear my head and get away from it all. I did shoot close to a box of shell and killed three quail. Pretty good Ha:nutz I suck at shooting those suckers. I can shoot anything else but quail and chukers have the voo doo on me. The dogs did great despite my poor shooting Im not fired.

7. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

I am doing my part to get women/girls hunting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In my experience we men make it a miserable experience for most women to hunt. My wife will hunt with me but she is not going if it is too cold period. So I accept that and move on.

Nemont

8. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

I have three little girls and no plan on having anymore kids... I'm sure my girls will hunt... My wife never shot a gun untel this year and she fell in love with it... I can't wait to take her hunting... we can spend more time when I'm in the fields... here is a pic of this year when I took Delaney hunting she is 4 years old but she never said a word when it started Raining and the wind picked up.. heck she even help pick up decoys and took the bloody birds to the truck...

Jake

[​IMG]

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive reached that point too.
    I put my kids first (most of the time). I had sort of a panic attack this summer. I realized there are a lot of things I expected to do with my three daughters that have not happened. And some wont happen :cry
    Were still going to do MT Borah, pack trips and hikes, But i think the pack in hunt camps are out. (My work schedual) Every Saturday after 9AM after waterfowling closes its all theirs, horses, sking, hiking ATVing.
    My girls will be outdoors ready for any hunter. ATV permits, hunter safety, Knowlege of firearms, shooting ability, perfer goose or duck or antelope, elk over any beef steak

10. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure there is a good joke here, but even California women like to hunt!:dv

There is a woman that guides in the Central Valley. Many of her clients are women that don't want the BS that goes along with men telling them how to do it.

A friend of mine has a daughter that loves hunting. He told me a story about a road trip they made last year to the Klamath Basin when she was 15. After a poor field goose hunt they went for a marsh shoot on ducks after a good report from some young guys they knew that hunted it that morning.

It was the open water while most everything was frozen. They were wading in the outer thin line of tules in the ice with the open water in front of them. The wind was blowing pretty good too.

They had shot a few ducks and my friend was thinking about how his girl might be getting pretty cold, since he was cold himself. So he mentions to her that they could back up into the tules a bit where it was dry and more out of the wind.

She doesn't say much about being cold. A while later he says it again, knowing she must be getting cold.

She turns to him and says, "Suck it up Dad, this is where the birds are flying." Priceless!:tu