Youth Day pays off-Happy father & daughter

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by AleutianKing, Feb 5, 2011.

1. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

My daughters have been asking me for years to take them duck hunting with me but due to my remote locations I hunt and the harsh conditions all over Alaska it has never happened, I put the word out to a few friends and My good friend and fellow guide Justin Bleicher called me last week and invited us out on the North Carolina coast Youth day hunt with him. We drove to the Outer Banks and stayed over friday night met Justin for dinner and went over our Game plan for the next day.

I have known justin for the past 7 years as he guides all summer in Alaska at our lodge then heads back home to run his own waterfowl Guide service based out of Nags Head NC. For a first hunt with my 12 year old daughter i wanted it to be special and not complicated. We met at 6am at the boat dock where he started going over all the rules, regs and safety procedures before loading us up and getting my 12 year old daughter steph fitted for her PFD. The weather was foggy,warm, rainy and dead calm, all 4 things that duck hunters hate.

[​IMG]

Anyway we headed out for the short 10 minute boat ride to his traditional Currituck sound Blind, to alaska standards it was a deluxe house blind with a covered and uncovered fully brushed blind plus a drive in boat garage. In short it was awesome and way more than i expected. It was meticulously fully brushed with local flora-trees as it looked like an entire island in the middle of the sound covered in pine trees.

[​IMG]

Anyway we got set up Justin has a huge diverse decoy spread covering the water 100% on all 4 sides of the blind, the first for me hunting with divers Out, Geese, Swans, Red heads and Teal all strategically placed for a maximum effect and water coverage.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the pics as it was pouring almost the whole time only had a couple chances to snap shots then it was so dark and foggy they look like crap. But anyway the first group of 4 teal flew in at 6:50 I was still getting stephanie in place and going over the o/u 20 gauge and the safety, I was like a kid trying to learn to ride a bike. Anxious, nervous and very excited. Anyway the first group flew in and justin called the shot and Steph and me were not ready it was Like buck fever, she could not get the gun shouldered properly and the safety off in time. With all the commotion the birds flaired at 20 yds just before landing.

We assured her it was ok as she was visibly shaken as things were not going perfect between the gloves and heavy rain gear being so cumbersome, as all of her practice was with minimal clothing and no gloves and Grundens. Fortunately the Next duck that flew in completely committed into the spread: an unlucky Redhead was the 1st victim and as it was touching down I heard Bang and there it lay,

[​IMG]

Kodiak went out to retrieve his first NC duck for the season and proudly brought it back to us. Stephanie was Excited but not sure really what had just happened. Anyway the morning continued on with numerous Bufflehead, teal and a couple of small flocks of Redheads and cans coming into the decoys. Since it was a Youth only hunt Stephanie was the only shooter.

She ended up getting a trophy Redhead and 2 Bluebill by 11am, She was mentally and physically exhausted due to the pounding rain and low visibililty, we decided to end the day on a great note and not turn her first day into a torture test. The rain let up a second we took some pics and headed in.
    [​IMG]

She was really happy but had some mixed emotions while holding the dead ducks freshly killed, as she said how pretty they were. The highlight of her day was working her Dog Kodiak as she worked on the pond with him and the yard for the past week making him mind her. He was great and she felt so proud of herself and her Dog that she has raised since he was 10 weeks old and now he was 7.
    Watch Stephs Duck Video here
    [​IMG]

Watch Stephs Duck Video here

2. barngeatbayman

barngeatbayman Elite Refuge Member

nice Charlie, not a bad mix of ducks for her 1st hunt 2 Broadbill and a Redhead WTG:tu

3. mushfoot

mushfoot Elite Refuge Member

way to go congrats

4. boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy Elite Refuge Member

Way to go you two. Good to see you back here in NC, safe and sound.

5. wetfootguide

wetfootguide Elite Refuge Member

Thats one heck of a first hunt! Not only because it was something she shared with you, but those are some really, really nice birds.

Congrats to the both of you!

Later,
    Kev

6. nebs

nebs Elite Refuge Member

Awsome! My boys got to come with me for the first time this year, and we had a blast. I can't wait until they are old enough to shoot, and I can watch them hold their first duck. That's what it's all about:tu

7. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Good gosh, congrats and I know she'll get her King before me.

8. eiderking

eiderking Elite Refuge Member

Awesome man :tu

9. CBP

CBP Senior Refuge Member

I know you're proud Charlie!! That's a really nice blind Justin has there in Currituck. I've hunted it before myself. Congratulations to Stephanie on a job well done!!

10. canadacaller

canadacaller Elite Refuge Member

Priceless!!!! I love these threads !!!! Congrats!!!!!:clap:clap:clap