Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Youth duck hunt ruined (UPDATE Oct 15.)

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by sjemac, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

I go on days off next Wednesday for 2 weeks. Let me know ur schedule. Ill get something set up and we will put a bunch of birds infront of those kids.

2. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

My experiences with the CO's are in their eyes everyone is a poacher and they are going to work as hard as they can to make sure they give you a ticket before they are done with you. Sorry to say that they aren't doing themselves any favors by treating everyone like a common criminal. Will report a poacher if I see one but have little respect for the CO's I have run into in Canada and the states.

3. 2point

2point Senior Refuge Member

That really sucks especially for the kids, hope it doesn't put a bad taste for hunting for the kids. Many years ago they had some stupid rules on an Indian reservation I hunted on.

One was west of the highway was open for geese and east of the highway was open for ducks. I was going to get a ticket when I showed up at my truck with ducks, I was on the east side of the highway. The game warden didn't know east and west he had it screwed up, and started writing me a ticket.

I never had a compass but was getting ****ed. I finally asked him where does the sun come up. In the east he said. In the morning doesn't it come up over those mountains, yes he said. So that must be the east right and this is the east side of the highway where I was hunting ducks. He quit writing the ticket handed me my license, didn't say a word and drove off. :l

4. turboduk

turboduk Senior Refuge Member

Yes, they should know the rules inside and out. There is no excuse for this. The only good thing that happened was them admitting you were in the right and had done nothing wrong.

5. CamoHunter

CamoHunter Refuge Member

Yes, it was unfortunate they made a mistake. Mistakes can happen, and as you mentioned, the regs are not written very clearly for the hunting situation you encountered. It probably would have been worthwhile to make a couple phone calls to get a definite answer, and a name of the person within the department you talked to. It could have alleviated a lot of your troubles. Yes, they are expected to know all the rules clearly, but it was an oversite of two words, in what is probably a large booklet of hunting regs.
    Is it worth letting it "ruin" your hunt, and totally turn you off of the department? Why not use it as an educational moment for you and your son, and explain that they made a mistake with an unclear regulation, and were trying to do their job. It was a learning experience for everyone, and I'm sure they legitimately felt bad about the whole situation in the end. Relax, give them a break, and go on with having a successful season.

6. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

I maintain those 2 words didn't make a difference... and in addition that whole sentence has nothing to do with the season, only which species one can harvest while hunting.

Can't shoot swants, cranes, woodcock, or doves during WHD. That's what that sentence is there for.

It shouldn't be the OP's responsibility to get clarificatin on a regulation that is clear and he reads clearly.

A good example is the youth bird hunt coming up. The regulation reads "the 4th saturday of September" ...youth can hunt any species for which there is or will be an open season (without a licence). Check MyWildAlberta.com. (http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/SpecialHuntingDays.aspx)

As I read it, youth can hunt sharptailed grouse and pheasant anywhere in the province and the season isn't open yet.

My point is, if you look carefully the "Youth Hunting Initiative" and "Provincial Hunting Day" are in regulation as being the 4th Saturday in September.... but the dates are published on MywildAlberta as September 21 (the 3rd saturday in september). Sometimes saying things 3 different ways isn't clearer than one way.

Which Saturday would you take your kids to shoot sharptails and pheasant on during a closed season?

(the correct answer is the 28th of September in case anyone was planning on going).

Anyway, take a look. It's a good opportunity... but wait till the 28th!!

--------
    Remember, A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is not sure.

7. Rockblind

Rockblind Elite Refuge Member

22 KM from Stakeblind 4000 KM from Stoneblind's Ho
    Well the poachers will be happy that he is not calling game wardens anymore. Hopefully his son follows that good example also.

8. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

The guy who reported me thought that he knew the law. The game warden that had me detained thought he knew the law. Neither did and my kid's hunt was Maybe that will change if they demonstrate that they have taken steps to ensure that they are aware of the laws and literate in their interpretation.

I do hope that my son follows my example and refuses to mindlessly obey or respect unearned nominal authority.

9. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

So I wrote the Minister of Justice responsible for CO's, Jonathan Denis. His office responded in writing and outlined the reasons why the CO's and RCMP had been called. That story is the same as provided by the CO and there is no surprise there nor do I necessarily dispute it. The Minister did acknowledge that the officer involved did not fully understand the legalities of the Waterfowler Heritage Days and that the matter had been addressed with that particular CO. He stated that it was "unfortunate" that this led to my hunt being interupted.

He also indicated that they would be working with their wildlife managers to ensure that there is better clarification of the regs in the future.

It was short of a a full on apology but they did respond and hopefully the regs will be crystal clear next season. I can't get that day back but hopefully have prevented it happening to someone else.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Good job. Mistakes can be turned into learning opportunities, and as such , will make things better in the future. Perhaps write another letter and see if the CO's would participate in a youth hunt (ie the DU mentor hunt would be a great place to start).