Youth hunt in Washington

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Pochards, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Pochards

Pochards Moderator Moderator

This year my 12 year old nephew Casey passed his hunter safety class back in March and he was ready to go shoot some ducks!

I thought I would introduce him to seaduck hunting! I figured if he could shoot a scoter then he could shoot anything! We got out there and was surprised how choppy it was. Well we got set up and before I knew it Casey had himself a bird on the water.

Here he is right after we got the bird. I think the smile says it all!
    [​IMG]

We didnt get set back up for a few minutes until he got himself another bird. This one was my favorite shot of the day. He took aim at the lead lady in a flock of 3 and stoned her! It was awesome! There were smiles and high 5's around on that one. Here was a shot right before the action took place.
    [​IMG]

I had to tell Casey to slow down because Uncle Jason needed to get some shots with his camera. We decided that since he was so deadly with his 20 gauge we would hold out for some drakes. So it was my turn to shoot...with the camera!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pochards

Pochards Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

After I got to shoot for awhile a nice drake came in and Casey nailed him too. This kid can shoot! He was making shots that me and his dad were amazed with! We were all having a blast.

The last bird of the day came into the decoys and Casey was so excited to get him (because he had a nice white patch on his neck). He landed, and that was all Casey could do to get him! It was cool! Here is the sequence!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well needless to say he was one happy kid and one tired kid. I had a blast ans thanks Casey for letting me take you out hunting! I think there will be plenty of more days of this!!

[​IMG]

3. fowldreams

fowldreams Elite Refuge Member

Wow, Pochards your photos are spectacular. Congrats to your nephew. Seaducks are tough birds to kill..

4. schmidte217

schmidte217 Senior Refuge Member

Wow!!

Great pictures, and great hunt to take your nephew on:tu That blows my mind how awesome it would be to go out sea duckin in september:grvn Looks like fun was had by all and anybody that can knock down sea ducks has my respect hands down.

Eric

5. crewchief252

crewchief252 Senior Refuge Member

Awesome pics, there is nothing more rewarding out there than teaching a kid to hunt and enjoy the outdoors, Our youth day is oct 5th, i cant wait, this will be my son's third season, hope he has as good a day as your nephew, way to go.

6. Pitboss

Pitboss Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

CONGRATS... on a great hunt and super pictures!!!

jeff

7. pbr streetgang

pbr streetgang New Member

what do you do with them?

nice pics!

8. NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Great pics, I have to admit I got a chuckle as I was scrolling down. All the great pics, birds in flight, skunkhead on the water, massive ploom of water with the swat...:l Classic! I know how it feels, I teach school and take one of my students from the previous year on youth waterfowl day here in NC. I have seen a number of waterswats in 7 years of taking kids.

As for the question about, what do you do with sea ducks. I kid you not we have a recipe for blackened sea duck that you CANNOT distinguish between sea duck and bites of filet mignon. Thats with no soaking of the breasts or anything, just a couple of hours of marinating.

Brad

9. Surf Hunter

Surf Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Thats what it's all about...:tu

10. Harliduck

Harliduck Moderator Moderator

Nice hunt Pochards!!

Looks like Casey had a great time! Sweet pictures....