Youth Hunt Success!!!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Eric Strand, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Eric Strand

Eric Strand Elite Refuge Member

What a great weekend!

We had the pleasure of sharing the turkey woods with some great kids this past weekend and a couple first time turkey hunters who I'm sure will become turkey hunters for life! The weather was up and down with the majority of the sunny weather occuring on saturday followed by rain and wind from saturday evening through sunday.

Most of the Toms we encountered were still henned up but that didn't keep us from getting close to some nice longbeards and killing a real nice 3-4 year old bird on saturday along with a pack of Jakes who came in fast during a mid-morning hunt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On sunday we had two young hunters who won hunts at the OHA Youth Turkey Clinic in White River. This hunt is dedicated to Wayne Elliot and we will be hosting this hunt for years to come. I can't say enough good things about the youth turkey clinic and OHA for getting young hunters into the outdoors and teaching them the skills and ethics needed to become a successfull turkey hunter, thanks OHA!

While the weather wasn't the greatest we still had a great time and we were able to talk a few birds right into our laps on several setups. Dakota shot his bird right off the DSD Hen decoy! Morgans bird came in at the bottom of the ninth inning after finally locating a bird and getting setup he came running at the first series of hen yelps, nice shot Morgan!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taking a kid hunting and passing on the tradition of spring turkey hunting is one of the most rewarding things we can do. I hope everyone has a great spring and is able to take a kid hunting.

Good luck this spring!

2. videographer

videographer Elite Refuge Member

That's good stuff Eric! Thanks for taking the time to spend with those fortunate youngsters. I am sure they will never forget it.

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Eric .. Congrats to you and all the youngin's:tu

I wish all the one's that I took, were still growin' up:cry

Heck, they'all are married now:eek::nutz

4. Maineduckhunter

Maineduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

:clap Kudos to you for taking the youth hunters out, they look very happy with their trophies.

5. blklabs2

blklabs2 Senior Refuge Member

Good job eric its great fun, to take kids. good job!!!!