Youth Hunt - Thank You

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by FLDuck Biologist, Feb 8, 2008.

1. FLDuck Biologist

FLDuck Biologist New Member

I would like to personally thank everyone who supported any of the Youth Waterfowl Hunt events across the state. It is the generosity of individuals like you that lend to the success of this program. In a generation dominated by batteries and power outlets, it is more important than ever to give children the opportunity to quit being “virtual” kids and become “actual” kids. You all did it in force.

I know about 120 boys and girls participated at the T.M. Goodwin Waterfowl Management Area (Brevard County) on Saturday, February 2nd. There were just as many kids at STA 5 (Hendry County) on Sunday, February 3rd. About 35 kids participated at the Beau Turner Conservation Center (Jefferson County). For many it was their first time hunting and for others it was the first time they harvested a bird. There were lots of smiles, proud kids, proud parents, and lots of fun.

I can’t thank you enough for your tireless efforts to help support and grow the sport of waterfowl hunting. It means a lot to me to see parents bring their children out to share their love of the outdoors. My father instilled that love in me by taking me a long as a kid. I'm trying to do the same with my kids.

I am a huge fan of the mentored hunts. I am always amazed by how many local hunters, who don't have children or have grown children, are willing to give up their weekend (and sleep) to take out kids they may not even know. Your dedication to the sport is incredible. Thank you. I hope you will continue to support this worthwhile cause.

I would also like to thank anyone else that took a kid out hunting this year during youth weekend that did not participate in one of the "sponsored" events. Your pesence in the marsh, although not as visible, was just as important.

My challenge to everyone for next year: Take your kids along more during the regular season and bring their friends too.

Thanks again.

Jamie Feddersen
    Waterfowl Biologist
    Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

2. DrakeDuster01

DrakeDuster01 Elite Refuge Member

Very well stated Jamie. My hat's off to all that shared their blind with a child as well. :clap :clap :clap