Youth Hunt

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by LarryA, Mar 17, 2003.

1. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

On another site there is a discussion about the Youth hunt. Un fortunately all of the posters are from the south. The real issue is that there was very little if any youth or any other duck hunting in the northern portion of the state in late January. There is no reference to the education of waterfowl. Note the checkstation data below:

By moving the dates forward youths that are new to the sport would have an opportunity to go again during the Regular Season rather than waiting months for the next season.

In addition, ducks were more evenly distributed throughout the state in November. An earlier youth hunt would increase the opportunities for them to participate in a successful hunt. A comparison of the late January (19-22) Check Station harvest data for Guana River (12 hunters with an average of .4 birds per hunter) versus the WMA harvest data from STA 5 (2.9 birds per hunter) and TM Goodwin (2 birds per hunter) illustrates this concentration. November 23rd Guana River hosted 100 hunters with an average harvest of 1.4 birds.

2. uncleD

uncleD Senior Refuge Member

HMMMM...

I think the youth hunt in the beginning will allow the kids a good chance at bagging a duck.

The question is when?

To clse to the regular season and it might effect opening. Too early, and there might not be enough ducks.

I always manage to get into Guana around Halloween and there are plenty of birds then. I've seen teal, widgeon, Fla. mallards, shovs, pins, some divers and Snows.

So, I know that there are birds around. Also, having the youth hunt then would allow enough room between for birds to settle down and for new arrivals.

I also feel that the hunts should be the same wkend. Sat and Sun.

Duke

P.S. I 've heard the request from DU members and non associated hunters want an early youth hunt.

3. Fyrestorm

Fyrestorm Guest

Actually I believe it is better mangement that had the birds there. From what I heard Guana had little food and way to much pressure. To think that there are more birds in the south is not that accurate. Don't other states to the north have youth seasons after the regular season?? I think the youth season should stay right where it is. The last two seasons I've been a part of it the kids were covered up in birds. And I don't live down south.............. ;)

Here is the pic to prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

Georgia has the youth hunt before season.

Any area south of Orlando was considered as south. TM Goodwin is considerably south of Guana and at least 75 miles south of Merritt Island. The temperatures can vary significantly. It got down to 25 at Merritt Island before regular season close. Teal don't like those lows. It didn't get that cold in Goodwin.

The difference between bagging 140 birds in Nov. versus 5 in Late Jan. at Guana is not just habitat or pressure.

Let's face reality, without teal and ringnecks there won't be many duck hunters or ducks to hunt in Florida.

The youth hunter I took, after season, had not duck hunted before. He wanted to go again but is stuck with waiting until next season. Thanks for setting up the hunt, Aaron.

5. Floridaboy

Floridaboy Moderator Moderator

Guana had plenty of food this year.

But it receives WAY too much pressure.

A management system like Goodwin would do wonders for Guana.

As much as I do not like quotas or call in systems, allowing 100 hunters on 1200 acres is too much on opening day.

6. uncleD

Guana as Steve said had plenty of food. Widgeon Grass, three square, coontail in the north, plenty of mullusk and shrimp.

The reports I got were that there were birds the last week.

Why they werent't there during wasn't mangt. Since Colin Smith has taken over, great changes have taken place.

Maybe the weather, I don't know.

Duke

7. D Duck

D Duck Moderator Moderator

I'm going out on a limb here in saying that most likely, Goodwin was one of the bery few areas that the kids did well during the youth-only season. I know for a fact that most of the guys up here did not even take their kids out - not enough ducks to justify watching the sunrise. Now we all understand that it's not all about the killing, but rather the experience, but try explaining that to a kid who only got a shot a maybe one duck.... So, in moving the youth days to the front of the regulary season, two things are accomplished. One, the kids get a better chance to bag some ducks - birds are not yet educated and two, the kids that enjoy the experience do not then have to wait until the next season to go again.

Now Jeff, I understand your point as well, but not everyone has this opportunity, unless the kids are their own. So, why take a kid out and risk having a "boring" hunt that could potentially discourage the youth from ever wanting to go after the ducks again????

This is a key issue in maintaining the hunter base that everyone keeps hearing about (I personally don't believe all the numbers we see from the State and Federal agencies that claim hunting licence and duck stamp purchases are down dramatically) and keeping waterfowling (done the right way!) alive.

8. RutnNStrutn

RutnNStrutn Senior Refuge Member

Good topic, and good questions guys.
    Here are my thoughts.
    Since we are dealing with kids, who are easily bored, a good first impression is very important. So, just as no ducks would be a bad impression, so might a sweaty, miserable, mosquito bitten trip be as well. A kid wiping sweat and swatting mosquitos is not going to be happy, and will flare the ducks. Just ask Fyre. We took out his stepkid a couple of seasons ago in weather exactly like that. It sucked, and the kid was miserable.
    Since I have been Mr. Compromise (of late), here are a couple of compromise ideas.
    -Have it during the season, perhaps after the break before the split season renews. Then the weather is better, and the hunting should be good.
    -Have it in designated locations that are normally closed to hunting. That would be a terrific hunt for the kids.

The only youth hunt I am familiar with is Goodwin, and for as long as I have known about it, they have had great hunts.

9. LarryA

LarryA Refuge Member

Rut

Your idea has merit. Even Merritt Island had no or few ducks during the youth hunt.

I forgot to mention that I took the maybe new "duck hunter" to Merritt Island, Shiloh 5, the day after the TM Goodwin hunt. I told him not to expect much, maybe a coot. We saw a total of 12 ducks. Six GWT before legal time, four mottled (a couple snuck in behind us), an a couple of "out of season" pintails decoying. There were five boats on the impoundment, a kid in each, and not a shot was fired. This was not a quality hunt by anyones standards. As you know, Shiloh 5 was good to outstanding before the last deep freeze. I personally took over 50 birds in or around the area.

We should share the resource with Youth Hunters statewide. The guys in the south can live with an earlier season even if they don't why they should have to!! :D

10. uncleD

Here's thinking outside of the blind.

Since the state affords two days, have one before reg season and on at the end.

:p

Duke