Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Youth Hunt?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Blue Collar Decoys, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Blue Collar Decoys

Blue Collar Decoys Senior Refuge Member

Just wondering how the youth hunts went this year? These are usually my two favorite days of the season, but this year I just couldn't get out of the shop. Would love to see some pics and hear the results!

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The fields I hunt just dont have birds,.. havent seen much otherwise.
    I was planning on archery hunting then taking the nieghbor for an evening goose shoot.
    Ive have only had 2 "dud" openiers that I recall. this year looks like it could be # 3, unless I do some driving

3. northern

northern Elite Refuge Member

Not much on this side, still pretty warm.

4. RedlegsId

RedlegsId Senior Refuge Member

We had a great morning. Plenty of birds. 2 Youth ended up with 9 birds. The fun part was watching them get excited when the ducks started working and then set in the decoys. Lots of shooting and plenty of misses. We ended around 9:30am. The boys should of had gotten their limits by 8:30am. They went through 3 boxes of shells each and laughed all morning long. The Drake Woodies were in full color, I?m going to get on them mounted as it has to be one of the most colorful Woodies I?ve ever seen. The Drake Mallards were just starting to show some color. We ended up with 3 wood ducks, 5 mallards ( 3 drakes 2 hens) and one Gadwall. We had a lone goose come right into the decoys and flare up right on top of the blind. Neither boy shot at it, they both said they were to fixed on watching it come in. It was a great day and hopefully it will only get better as the year goes on.

5. jaeger19

jaeger19 Elite Refuge Member

One of the best hunts ever for us. Took my son out for his first duck hunt and was able to get his grandpa to go along also. Not to mention a new pup.

The birds were as thick as thieves. Huge flocks of birds 100 plus (teal) get driving into the decoys then swirling all confused after my boy shot. He certainly was "sprayin and prayin":l: Somtimes the ducks got so confused between the shooting and then hearing me call that I had to duck as they dive bombed over me to get to the decoys. Finally, my boy got to whack one duck with only 8 shells left (he shot two boxes).

I was still shooing them away while I was picking up decoys they were that thick. My boy held onto that duck with a smile as if he just shot a 10 point buck!:yes:yes

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Good stories, jaeger and Redlegs. Thanks for telling them here.

7. Jacob Hyer

Jacob Hyer Elite Refuge Member

8. Mike Callian

Mike Callian Senior Refuge Member

Nice to watch birds die again. The kids I hunted with got a cool little reward too...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jaxson

Jaxson Senior Refuge Member

nice photoshop nevada