youth huntin this weekend!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by LittandJake, Apr 6, 2006.

1. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

finally get to go have some fun with them this weekend. going after the boy's first longbeard on Saturday. He killed a nice jake for his first bird last spring and we are holdin out for big boy this year. Weather has been weird here and it is keeping the birds flocked up later than in recent years so we will just have to see what happens. I am fired up and ready though.:tu

2. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

good luck :tu

3. BamaBuckshot

BamaBuckshot Elite Refuge Member

4. SCTC

SCTC Elite Refuge Member

Good Luck, LittandJake! Hope you call in a nice one for your boy.

My dad will be doing the same for my nephew up in NE Missouri near Hannibal.

What part of the state is Sturgeon located? I grew up in Missouri and lived there for over 20 years, but don't recognize that town.

5. Buckeye Quacker

Buckeye Quacker Senior Refuge Member

Still flocked up here in Ohio, northern part anyway . Might be easier to call in a Tom if the hens aren't showing to much intrest yet . I can't say I know for sure because as long as I've been Turkey Lurkin I don't think Ive ever hunted anywhere where the season opened up when the turkeys are still, into that first Tri mester , and that includes about my first six that were in Mo.

Wish you both a great hunting experance .

6. Goosehunterdog

Goosehunterdog Elite Refuge Member

Good Luck!!! My 8 year old daughter is going Sat. She has been hitting the target really well with her youth 11-87.I really hope that she gets one!!!!!:tu

7. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

Good luck in the quest for the big boy!!:tu

8. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

SCTC, it is 1/2 way between Moberly and Columbia. We had a good weekend that didn't end up with a shot. Fri. we went to try and put a bird on a tree. We got to see a BIG gobbler strutting in the food plot and watched between 15 to 20 birds fly up on the roost and heard several gobbles. We slipped in quiet Sat. morning and got close to the birds and set up. The first bird we heard was the one closest to us so we figured we were in good shape. We had a fun morning hearing 6 or 7 birds ringing on the limb but all the turkeys flew down and made a B-line for a big boy roosted away from us. We watched 3 jakes strut off the other direction gobbling all the way so that was cool. Had my niece hunting the food plot so we tried a different farm Sun. morning. I hadn't scouted this farm but it was my honey hole so I figured we could wing it and have some luck. Long story short we ended up between 4 birds that were hammering but kept getting led away by hens. We had a jake come slippin in on us and William could have ended his day easily but he wants to hold off for a longbeard so we did. Good weekend just nothing to show for it. We will get it done another day.

9. Goosehunterdog

Goosehunterdog Elite Refuge Member

My daughter and I went this weekend and didn't fire a shot either but I had the most fun turkey hunting as ever!!! We saw several and had one close and told her to get ready and she was sleeping!!!!!!!!!:l She has another season in a couple of weeks so I hope she gets to shoot.I have another season and don't even care if I go.I had so much fun with her that I don't even care to go without her.Sounds like you had a real memory building blast this weekend and well!!!!:tu

10. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Ryan,

Your a good Father!