youth muzzleloaders?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by mallardmuncher, Oct 25, 2006.

1. mallardmuncher

mallardmuncher Senior Refuge Member

anyone make a smokepole that is sized for young hunters? i haven't come up with one, and when the time comes, i think thats gonna be the method i take to introduce him to deer hunting.

2. talk2em

talk2em Senior Refuge Member

I have been looking online at both of these, I personally like the Rossi. They make one in 45 calliber also.

Just go to google and search for youth muzzleloader, both should come up.

Good luck.

Let me know if you find any others.

3. pudldux

pudldux Elite Refuge Member

my son(12) took his first deer this past month on a youth hunt with my .50 cal. omega and shooting sticks. He handled it just fine with 100 grains of loose 777 and a 200 gr shock wave. She ran about 5 ft. and fell over dead. All this from 130 yrds. My 8 yr old shoots it with 80 grains and does just fine. I do agree that a muzzle loader has taught my boys the value of a well placed shot on a standing deer.

4. joel zadvorney

joel zadvorney Senior Refuge Member

I had my 8 y.o. nephew out to the range and had no problem handleing 80gr loose powder through the encore. I used to have a cva base model and the stock was much smaller. It shot great out to 100 yards and will cost brand new under a $100. The nice thing about black powder is the recoil is more like a push than the snap recoil of a shotgun or rifle. Much easier on the shoulder of a smaller person. Good luck, Joel