Youth opener -

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by On The Prowl 4 Waterfowl, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Hard for me to understand getting butthurt about kids getting a chance at a memorable hunt. I know some "jrs" who were up there and had a great time. On top of that, these "jrs" are some of the best shots I have ever seen and flat crush the birds all season. Never for a milla second did I begrudge them the opportunity. With a two week rest I am sure the true opener doesn't suffer.

tule, Wood-Dro, DuckSLu7 and 2 others like this.
  2. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

I'm not butthurt over juniors getting the opportunity to have a good experience (though I do disagree about its effect on the regular opener). My issue is with those 16 and over who are not really "juniors". The hunt was meant to give those who are learning the sport to have an opportunity at success without competing with more competent hunters. The more hunters they put in the field by increasing the age limit, the more the hunt becomes like every other shoot day. I know my opinion will not change the policy, it's simply stated so others who agree might see that not everyone rubber stamps everything that is done under the guise of helping "juniors".

3. goose gobbler

goose gobbler Senior Refuge Member

I actually think both sides have good points. My vote is to allow juniors to hunt. I don't care if they are 10,12,16 or 18. Our numbers as hunters get smaller and smaller every year. I do think it affects the opener for the rest. Just like the split season we used to have. Two week break but didn't take birds very long to know what was up and head to the closed they previously found. That being said, I side with any program aimed to encourage new hunters of any age but especially kids.

Winchester 1897 and Calikev like this.
  4. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Bingo. A little 411 for all of you. Our sport is on life support here in Ca. Look at the crowd standing around the check station in the AM and tell me we are recruiting new hunters. Geezerville, myself included.

sulrd, letmwurk and Calikev like this.
  5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Well Riley and I are doing our part to help preserve the Heritage. One kid at a time is my goal and hopefully if all these parents who hunt do this with their kids we end up having a future with this in it. If you don't have kids, then adopt a partner for a while and mentor one. I watched Blackdog58 mentor a young man into a great hunter and this is after he already brought his son up as a hunter as well. So it doesn't have to stop because your kids are grown.

Riley was sad leaving NE California this year knowing she won't be a junior for it next season but also satisfied with what she was able to get to do the last couple of years up there. She was very grateful that the CWA, CDFW and USFWS all collaborated to allow the junior age to increase. This was a GREAT thing in my opinion and I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks differently. No ones hunting has been ruined by this as we are lucky to have 100 day seasons out there so sharing a weekend or two isn't a big deal folks. However, it really means a lot to folks like us and if you ever see Riley in line just ask her what she thinks about extending the age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin

6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

The issue to me is why did we ever consider anyone at 16 to be an adult in the first place? Sorry but 16 is not an adult, not even close and NEVER will be close to being an adult. I can make the argument that 18 isn't even an adult but by legal definition it is and you can't drink until you are 21.

How many 16 year olds are really capable of making full adult decisions? So the Junior age should have always been 17 and under. Finally they got it right and the rule makes absolute sense as it is consistent with most other laws that say you are an adult at 18. I'm very happy they made the switch as my daughter actually got to experience some great hunts and have the physical maturity and ability to enjoy them fully.

I also don't believe that two 16 year old Juniors should be able to hunt alone together. If under 18 then at least 1 adult should be present so there is a responsible party there.

Let's put it into perspective: She gets 2 NE Junior days and 2 BOS Junior days. 4 total days out of over 100 days. If guys here can't tolerate that then that makes a pretty strong statement about those particular individuals. There are plenty of birds two weeks later and the BOS Junior hunt is after the adults have already hunted for 100 days. So what is the problem with it?

7. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Well Done Riley!!!!

Kevin, You sure have a wonderful daughter there...who works hard at it and her efforts (yours too) really pay off each time out. :bow:bow

PS: Big Fan of junior hunts, and for the age change.

carry on....

Winchester 1897 and Calikev like this.
  8. Downwind

Downwind Senior Refuge Member

Sure is nice to hear everyone thanking CAL-ORE for putting on another great BBQ and raffle for the juniors and not getting wrapped up in arguments about how many birds my kid killed, who has the best beard, or that it is not fair the juniors get to hunt a couple weeks early. Carry On!!! :)

9. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

My God what a couple of jealous selfish jackwagons!

Keep stacking them up kids!

Flyfisher, STiCKY and Calikev like this.
  10. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Especially with new birds moving in daily. Heck, the BOS junior hunt is AFTER the general season when birds are patterned to a T and have been pounded on!! I love going up for the junior hunt, the smiles on the kids faces and me whimpering like an old lab is priceless!! I even find myself blowing out of the layout blind like im shooting, old habit, and the rubber band gun keeps me happy! The only part I didnt like that I seen was the ditch jumping at Tule, its not legal and when the "kids" can only hunt the general season they will get their tit in a ringer and a hard lesson learned. Im all for junior days, its another day in the field away from video games!

greenheadguy09 and Calikev like this.