Youth opener -

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by On The Prowl 4 Waterfowl, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Thanks to Cal-Ore for another fine event!

2. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

"Good Grief its kids!" Everyone here gets to hunt as much or as often as funds and time allows, let it go and enjoy your season!

Calikev likes this.
  3. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

You guys seem to think that it has anything to do with my hunting. everyone says we need kids, but who takes kids hunting? Their fathers! If the adults drop out of the sport because they can't have a decent hunt once in awhile, the kids will be gone as well. I'm not talking about the hardcore guys who go regardless (and have success on a regular basis). I'm talking about the marginal hunters who might only have a chance at a limit on an opener. I personally know a couple of fathers who don't take their juniors on the kids hunt because they can't justify it if they can't hunt as well because their opportunities are limited. Sure to some that may seem selfish but these guys do it as they seem fit.

As far as whether they are a junior or an adult.....there is a middle as well. They might not be an adult by law but they can go hunting on their own and are certainly competent to do so. I used to ditch school all the time at 16 and 17 to hunt Sutter on Wednesdays by myself and got back to class before lunch. I tend to look at the pie as if it had limits. You just can't keep giving everything to kids under the guise of preserving the sport without shorting the adults who are funding the kids hunting in the first place.

Sometimes I wonder how some of you guys learned to hunt while growing up without the benefit of junior perks.

James707 likes this.
  4. greenheadguy09

greenheadguy09 Senior Refuge Member

Hey Jason, I know my son has some good memories from hunting with you and your boys about 3 years ago on the NE jr opener. It is opportunities like these Jr. hunts that put us in the field together. It is great times for the kids for sure, but also great memories for the Dad's . . . even when we don't pull the trigger. I remember my son looking at all the mallards descending on us in one of those fields in Tule Lake and he said, "So this must be what it is like to hunt in one of those shows on TV." :yes

tule and Calikev like this.
  5. DuckSLu7

DuckSLu7 Senior Refuge Member

All aboard to Clown Town USA! This is ridiculous. Get a life. Comical yet sad how ducks hunters are actually one of duck hunters worst enemies! Let em hunt, share experiences a field with dad and friends and get em away from social media! Your justifications are so poor, it makes me cringe. WOOF!

Calikev likes this.
  6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Put the shovel down and stop, seriously:l

mak2782 and Calikev like this.
  7. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Your friends certainly can do as they wish.

But I do have to say that any friend of mine that felt that way would get a call from me - asking if I could take their kid out. As you said about the guys you know that won't take them: "to some that may seem selfish...".

I'd be one of those guys saying that. They are thinking 'small'. Taking a kid out on one of these special hunts might be the hunt of a lifetime for that kid. Meaning, that kid will be more likely to want to hunt later in life. And guess who they will want to hunt with as an adult? Yep - the guy that took them. Don't take them and you may never hunt with them as an adult...ever! If you are a dad and don't take advantage of these hunts when your kid is a junior because YOU cant hunt too, you are not only selfish but you may be making the biggest mistake of your hunting career...and miss out on the possible hunts together, for the future.

What's that saying from Mr. T? ;)

tule, Silver Wings, Calikev and 2 others like this.
  8. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

I don't understand how anyone can't be stoked about a "kid" (and yes they are all kids) shooting a bunch of birds. Plus, who doesn't enjoy seeing the first straps of the season. Cray cray

9. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

I must say that one of my most enjoyable/ memorable experiences was guiding for the late youth hunt at my old club
    It brought back many memories from when I first started hunting with my father and grandfather 43+ years ago
    Good times and the kids will remember it like it was yesterday well into their twilight years

Wareagle1, Calikev and DuckFan like this.
  10. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

That ship sailed 25 years ago. The advent of rot water helped to kill off all of the marginal duck hunters. My dad sold his club membership and quit in 1994 largely due to rot water. The data indicates that what is left are the hard-cores for the most part.

We need to get the kids out whose fathers don't hunt or who don't have fathers. CWA is really putting in great effort in this regard.