Youth opener -

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by On The Prowl 4 Waterfowl, Sep 23, 2017.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if it translates to more hunters, but shot a round of sporting clays at Quail Point this past Sunday. There was a lot of junior shooters out there practicing for upcoming shoots.

I have no problem with junior hunts, the problem I have is kids should be hunting all season long and not just on junior days.

Pastor, Powder, Dan Mallia and 2 others like this.
  2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

How are adults getting shorted? That's a crock of crap if I've ever heard one.

I can tell you about all the times my daughter has been shorted out of good hunts during the regular season because some adult runs right by us to get a better spot. It happens a lot so we have to take other spots because I'm not racing with my kid.

Where are these guys at now? Crying they don't get a special hunt when they screw over kids all season? Why aren't you defending the kids 100 days when that crap is going on? I guess that doesn't matter?

If adults can't get their fill in over 100 days then giving them one more weekend won't curb that appetite. This is about pure greed and selfishness. Any parent who won't take a kid because they can't hunt doesn't have a clue what this sport is really about. Pretty sad. If you are looking for reasons why this sport is failing then there you have it right there. Guys like your buddies.

I've listened over the years about how great you do and how many limits you shoot. So help your buddies out. Take them and their kids out and show them how to kill birds so the Dads don't have to deny the kids of their own opening weekend without the competition of selfish adults. If you wanted to strike a nerve well you found one with me. I put my kids before me when it comes to this and I'm very disappointed that folks are honestly worried about kids taking birds from them. NE Cal refuges shoot 4-5 averages every year on the opener. If guys can't figure out how to kill birds with that, then perhaps the need guys like you to mentor them on how to hunt because it isn't too tough up there.

Kevin

3. Calikev

Agree 100%. Been an opinion of mine for years. Get them out as much as you can. Life is short and they grow up fast so there will never be another moment like the present.

I look back at all of the great hunts me and my kids have been on and it takes me back to hunting with my Dad and brother as a kid. Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Kids are special. Getting them to hunt with you is one of the most rewarding things you can experience.

Kevin

letmwurk, green with ring and CalBaer like this.
  4. dsilsby

dsilsby Elite Refuge Member

i have always thought the kids hunt should take place during regular season- and the kids should get to hunt the closed zone. not only would they have great hunts but inturn the
    adult hunters else where on the refuge would experience better shooting for
    a few days.

5. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Just an observation, but if a kid is making a 320 mile trek with adults from Sac to NE Cal, odds are he hunts more than just the junior days. Met some kids from a lot further south than Sac, too.

Calikev likes this.
  6. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

Everything about this statement, points to scoreboard. If one can't put up the numbers, hunting isn't worth it. And if you have friends that won't take their kids out because they themselves won't shoot as many ducks, well, I'd say get new friends.

mak2782 and Calikev like this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

"I can make the argument that 18 isn't even an adult but by legal definition it is and you can't drink until you are 21."

Really? tell that to all of the 18-year-olds fighting for our country, and they would slap you down. I'm sorry but a 16 or 17-year-old doesn't need a spiecal day set aside for them. They are the same kids beating you to the hot spot on any given weekend.
    15 yrs and younger, sure I can see that but 16 and 17-year-olds should be carrying dads gun and decoys every weekend of the season, unless they are out hunting with their buddies.

sisqsprig and Wareagle1 like this.
  8. Calikev

They aren't leading themselves in the military at 18. They have commanding officers who tell them what to do. They want young kids because they are impressionable and don't question authority or else they get slapped down.

None of which has anything to do with the recreational hunting we are talking about.

Well they have their own hunting weekend now and thank the folks who made it happen. Like I said before, adults have all season long to get their fill in. Having kids hunt for one weekend in NE Cal is not hurting anyone and anyone who thinks this needs to go back and learn how to hunt. If guys here can't kill birds on the NE opener next weekend don't blame that on kids. It is their own lack of skill and preparation.

I've never had any issue getting birds up there. It is a ridiculous argument and again just shows us how some people here really are.

9. dsilsby

dsilsby Elite Refuge Member

for anybody on this long thread who
    says the junior hunt does not effect the regular season opener; your full of
    shyt. i hunted there before the junior
    hunt was put in place and i have hunted there since. The difference
    in the quality of the hunt is astounding.
    i imagine some young juniors are
    shooting multiple boxes of shells- and inturn educating a whole lot of birds.
    fact is fact. maybe the junior hun should be held 3 weeks before the opener.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

And your opening day shooting ruins it for the guys shooting the next weekend. BFD!

If you don't get juniors seriously interested in shooting ducks by any means necessary there will not be hunting in California in 20-25 years. So if you're more worried about one hunt because juniors shot there before you than your narrow-mindedness is out in full display.

sparky(akaT2) likes this.