youth season

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by LittandJake, Apr 12, 2004.

1. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

well, we made an attempt to get the boy his first turkey...and we failed. We did however learn a little about the woods and a few critters. I had to work nights so we were late getting to the woods both mornings. We did have an ole boss bird that I have hunted for 3 years fire off at us today. I thought he might give us a look but, I should of known better. the boys eyes lit up when that gobbler yoddled at us and that made the weekend worth it. We will be back after them next week, you can bet on it!:tu

2. BamaBuckshot

BamaBuckshot Elite Refuge Member

He just has aliitle more knowledge now.:D Good luck on the ole limbhanger!!

3. Shoot2Kill

Shoot2Kill Elite Refuge Member

My cousin took his daughter for the first time on Saturday. He borrowed my ole single shot 20 and guess what she ended up with..........26#'s, 10.5" beard, & 1" spurs!!:eek: :tu Not to damn shabby!

4. fallsflight

fallsflight Elite Refuge Member

Naw, you didn't fail. Sounds like he had a great time and learned things about the woods. Congrats on making his time in the woods enjoyable! :tu You'll get that bird next time.

5. JJE007

JJE007 Senior Refuge Member

Every time a big ol' limbhanger gobbles at you. That's the sound of SUCCESS! I so love that sound!

6. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We didn't have any success over the weekend either on the Idaho Youth hunt. Worked one right off the roost, only to have a red fox bust it up. Knew we had him in the bag right off the bat. My friends 13 year old daughter was the shooter with Caleb backing her up. When everything is right, it ain't always right.

We did some more scouting, but with hunting public ground and with most of the birds isolated in selected regions around here, it's tuff to get a good spot without interference. We thought that parking at the gate of the only road into the area that we might have it to ourselves, but folks just walked right on by, right through the roost and screwed the whole thing up opening day.

The kids enjoyed themselves and we called in a hen fairly close just screwing around with the calls over lunch while the kids were playing baseball with sticks and skunk cabbage. I keep telling myself she didn't have a tom in tow, oops. I guess I know where there is a bird for the regular opener on Thursday, too bad the kids have school:l