Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Youth season

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Just wondering how many other provinces have a special mentored youth season. Ours starts tomorrow morning and I have a field lined up holding over 5000 mallards for the young guys. Should be a blast!

2. Canuk

Canuk Senior Refuge Member

Bc, ab, mb, pq, nb, pei

3. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Canuk,

Thanks, great to hear. How about any refuge members participating with the kids post hunt photos and stories as the season progresses. I have been mentoring for a number of years now and really enjoy hearing the "stories" about first hunts etc...

BTW, anyone looking for information about organizing a mentored hunt can contact either the refuges own Chris Benson who is in charge of the youth program for DU Canada or the Delta Office in Winnipeg and both would be happy to get you started on the right track. My hats off to both organizations at the National level as well as our Manitoba Wildlife Federation and Manitoba Conservation for their fantastic support at the provincial level. We need more hunters in a bad way. I was out scouting this week and never even ran into another parent looking for a spot to take their young hunter for tomorrows opener... without new hunters we are going to become a minority in just a generation or two and the tree huggers will walk all over us.

Anyone in the Winnipeg or Interlake area with a youngster that might be interested in getting out on a hunt, drop me a line on the toll free 1-866-810-8711 and I am willing to help you out as much as possible. If our schedules mesh, I would be willing to take out any youngster during the mentored season along with my son and I, my field is also available once it gets cut.

4. Ducky_Hunter

Ducky_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I have a 1000 geese and around 700 ducks just waiting. should be a blast. only bad thing need to pull the kids from school for one day but worth it.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Went scouting last night and we have NO fields that are combined yet , and some birds are going into standing barley and couldn't get permission (understandably). Guess its water. Have 1-3 hunters to mentor. Should be fun.

6. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Cupped, it's much appreciated! Are you helping out with the youth hunts again this year? I'll be at the Delta, Oak Hammock, and Whitewater or Winnipeg, as well of course the DUC staff mentored hunt.

7. Rockblind

Rockblind Elite Refuge Member

22 KM from Stakeblind 4000 KM from Stoneblind's Ho
    When my son was eligible for the youth hunt, we were the only ones out in my area, subsequent years I never heard a shot on Youth days around the 2 areas I hunt. I live in QC

8. hanger

hanger Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

i'll have 4 boats going this weekend with kids and mentors. We put on quite a spread for everyone, they arrive Saturday and stay till Sunday with all sorts of great stuff mixed in plus some great hunting. They eat and enjoy themselves like kings! We even pattern their shotguns on my board, just to show them how a shot pattern works.
    Here is a link to our past youth hunts. http://www.huntriverside.com/youth-hunts.html
    The timing is perfect also as it is 2 days before they go back to school, and they are armed with first hand experience about hunting and how great it is. No anti hunting liberal teacher nor any gang bangers are going to sway those kids after the weekend they have here. Hunting will be be their main objective for the rest of the fall, and most likely the rest of their lives, like us.
    The sign up sheet is full year to year, first come basis, many sign up 2 yrs in advance.

9. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Rockblind,

If you're son is still old enough to take part in the youth seasons there are a number of mentored youth hunts that are run in Quebec through local hunting clubs. Give the Quebec office a call or send them an e-mail to get more information,

http://www.ducks.ca/province/qc/index.html

Those look like great photos Gildas, I hope the kids have a great hunt this weekend!

10. hanger

hanger Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

lots of birds around right now, might have to go chase them in some of the distant potholes but there are some numbers flying around. Idealy we like to hunt from the boats but we may need to walk some this year if they are held up in the small lakes etc. It is quite early honestly as the migration isn't on for another 3-4 weeks, but there are lots of local birds to scare up a good hunt.