Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Youth season

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Ritchieduck

Ritchieduck Senior Refuge Member

I had a good hunt this morning with some young hunters. Lots of ducks to shoot at in the field. We had a first duck ever shot by one of the youngsters. He managed to get his first mallard and first pintail.

The shell companies will be thriving this year despite the price increase.:eek: When dad and uncle are footing the shell bill its no holds bared.

It was all smiles on the hunt and we ended up with some meat for the table.

I was just speaking to Chris this morning and it looks to be another bumper crop of young hunters this year. Out of a small town in Canada we will have had 20 and 25 new first time hunters on our youth hunt in the past two years. With the kids returning from previous hunts we will be close to 40 kids for the hunt this year. Thanks to Manitoba Conservation ,Delta and DUC
    for helping make these hunts possible for the kids.

Ritchie

2. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

3 young hunters out this am including one first time hunter with a total of 76 shells shot and a bag of 2 greenwing, 2 shovelers, 4 widgeon and 9 mallards :tu

Pictures to follow...

3. yellowlab04

yellowlab04 Senior Refuge Member

Nice to here about the kids hunting, here in Ont we dont have a youth hunt !!!

4. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

The kids are out hunting on saturday for the Brandon hunt. A couple of fields holding some very good mallard numbers yesterday, Not many fields cut yet. Only one combined during yesterday's drive. Honkers are sticking to themselves so far.....

Good luck to the kids....

5. SilverTip

SilverTip Senior Refuge Member

Yes, there are Youth Hunts in Onatrio-just not province wide! Check out rondeauwaterfowlers.com for a link to the Education Day (sponsored by Delta Waterfowl with help from RBWA) and The RBWA Jeff Bechard Memorial Youth Hunt sponsored by RBWA with support from Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited.
    If you need some help or forms for a youth hunt give me a shout. I'll be glad to help out!
    As well I believe Long Point Waterfowlers and Delta Waterfowl (Kingsville) offer Youth Hunts. Waterfowl (Kingsville) also offers a women's hunt.
    MikeM

6. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

My 14 year old son Patrick, 12 year old daughter Hillary (on her first hunt!) and their friend Jim with their 17 ducks. I missed the first part of the hunt due to just getting off night shift, special thanks to Jim's dad Rob for taking them out and getting everything set up!

[​IMG]

My 3 year old hates being left behind (she has been coming out in the field with us for 2 years already). If we don't take her, she meets us at the door with her pop gun and wants us to take pictures of her with the ducks....

[​IMG]

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Nice pics! I couldn't sleep last night. Snow geese were pouring into the area and are loud, but probably won't stay long, as there is no crops down yet up here with the exception of one field. I have 3 youth lined up for Sat/Sun and should be a blast , especially if we can get the snows coming in.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

As SilverTip mentioned there are a number of youth hunts in Ontario this fall.

http://www.ducks.ca/resource/hunters/mentoredhunt.html

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/hunting/canada.php

Both Delta and DUC are working together with other provincial agencies to promote mentored hunting. If you are looking to mentor or have a youngster that is interested give us a call. Or even better if you are willing step up to the plate and get a youth hunt going in your area, we can help you get started.:tu

9. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I was sure I heard some snow geese flying over this afternoon, with the really warm temps I thought I might be crazy.

Great pictures Cupped! Hope to see Hillary this weekend at Delta or Oak Hammock the following weekend.

10. Socal Waterfowler

Socal Waterfowler Elite Refuge Member

Is this early for the Snows to be showing up in your guys area? Great job on keeping the tradition alive by getting kids out.