Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Youth season

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

It's early for any number of snows to be coming down my way just south of Lake Winnipeg. Normally they don't start showing up until the third week of September.

However last year distinctly remember seeing a flock of snows on the 1st of Sept.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Took the boys out for some pass-shooting this morning, as no fields have been swathed yet, and I have to work early, so no time to set up decoys. It was Myles' first hunt as a licensed hunter. He passed his hunters safety practical last night and was ready before the alarm went off this morning. He shot 8 or 9 shells (loaded as singles) and he was tending to stop his swing, but a slow moving buffie got knocked down and gracie did the rest. His brother was having a bad day on the other end of the dike, and shot over a box of shells to get his four ducks. Ended up with 2 redheads, a buff, a goldeneye, and a spoonie. Not bad, but the boys will get better as the season progresses, and over decoys, they will increase their averages.
    Myles' First Duck

[​IMG]

My boys' mentored hunt birds for the day
    [​IMG]

Myles missing a low bw teal

[​IMG]

Mike shooting at a redhead (missed)

[​IMG]

Gracie doing her thing

[​IMG]

3. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Patrick and his mom snuck out for a quick crane hunt this morning as I had a meeting. No cranes decoyed but 2 flocks of honkers swung over. Patrick brought down this big boy and lo and behold, his first band! He already called it in and it was banded in July 03 somewhere in Manitoba (most likely at Oak Hammock Marsh 2 miles away). He is one very excited young man right now!

[​IMG]

By the way that is a full size 12 gauge Remington 870 and my "little" boy is 5'8" and probably 125 pounds, so the goose does have some serious length!

4. bang you'r dead

We average 1 band every 700-800 birds, or about 1 a season up here. Wow! Nice trophy for the morning. Our cranes all left last week. As usual, the early crane season here is hit or miss, usually miss, as the birds tend to migrate before we get a crack at them. Lots of Canada geese and a few flocks of specks poured in last night. Awfully early, and they may move early, with little grain to feed on in the area. Bait station is actively feeding 6-8000 mallards . (100 bushels a day)

5. Ducky_Hunter

Ducky_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

great photos guys keep up the good work hopefly I have phootos of my kids on the 8th

6. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Cupped I remember banding that exact goose, he was a scrapper and pooped all over me. :l Glad to see Patrick got some bling for his lanyard. If you guys do end up finding some cranes and need an extra gun, let me know.

Great pictures and stories guys! bang, if you and your new hunters are needing resources let me know and I'll send some stuff to you and the new hunters.

7. bang you'r dead

Thanks Chris. I still have the binder you sent 2 years ago , and I use it as a great guide for mentoring. You should maybe post it as a sticky on the main board for interested parties.

I have a field of about 500 Canada geese ( tilled under summer fallow) that will probably get a good licking on Saturday , and I may have a mallard field as well by Sunday or Monday.

The kids are pumped and I am too, with no pressure from other shooters in the area, they have their pick of the fields (what few there are).

I'll try to post more as we go out.

8. Cuppedwings.ca

Oh Oh, I have created monsters, the 12 and 14 year old are just outside right now waiting on 40 geese camped out in our field. If they leave before dark I think there will be some steel headed their way! We are headed out in the morning after a flock of ducks that Val and Patrick scouted out while I was at my meeting this am... how many more months of this?

9. Ducky_Hunter

Ducky_Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Hey I use Chris's binder as well . It has loads of good suff. if you take kids hunting it is a must.

Thanks

10. Cuppedwings.ca

A quick limit of ducks this morning for the boy 2 pintail and 6 mallards. Hillary has yet to connect and had two minor injuries this morning that put her out of commission for most of the morning, she pinched her finger in a blind just before daylight and then mismounted the gun and took a good shoulder hit on her first shot... we will get it right yet!

A great lesson was learned this morning when a federal CWS agent did a check on us at the end of the hunt and mentioned watching us look for a downed duck for over an hour, he set up on us first thing and watched the entire hunt without the kids even knowing he was there... ethics are important and the law re-enforces them

[​IMG]