Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Youth season

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Glad to hear you guys got another good shoot and even better to hear the CWS agents are out too checking hunters. Good learning experice for anyone to be checked and it emphizes the need to follow the rules and be an ethical hunter. :tu

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I like the federal CWS guys. I get checked by them every year, which is actually quite a good experience for us, and makes sure we retrieve everything quickly and efficiently (remember not to let your dead birds float away from you, or you will be fined.).

I just hope they don't enforce the youth/mentor requirements too closely, where the youth has to have a PAL holder within arm's reach at all times. What a stupid law. My boys will be in layouts, within 5 yds of me, but that's as close as I'll put them. I have them scheduled for doing the federal PAL course in a couple weeks, and then I'll apply for minor's permits for them, hopefully so my 15 year old can hunt with some friends after school behind our house, otherwise he has to hunt with me.

3. King Quack

King Quack Senior Refuge Member

So you have to immediately retrieve your birds? They are looking at doing the same in the US from what I hear.

Good to see you are gettin the boys warmed up for the season Warren. You're killing me since I have four weeks before I can leave for Canada.:yes

4. bang you'r dead

I'll paraphrase the law, but under the migratory bird regulations, section 16.1(a) and (b) state:

"A person who kills, cripples, or injures a migratory bird shall
    (a) make every reasonalbe effort to immediately retrieve the bird and
    (b) if he retrives that bird while still alive, immediately kill and include it in his daily bag limit.

If you wing a bird and it sails away, and you don't immediately start looking for it, I'll guarantee you a ticket and a probable 1 year license suspension. If you dump them all in the field in front of you, you should be retrieving them and putting them in piles beside whoever shot them. You can't party hunt game birds, although I see lots of guys doing it.

Similarly on the water, make sure you are retreiving them immediately. If they drift out of your decoy spread, you can be charged.
    (Get a dog, they will take care of all this for you) :tu

See you in a month Chris! The hunting should be really good where you normally have gone in the past. Water condtions were very good in spring and summer in the interlake.

5. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

The water conditions are almost too good, many farmers didn't get a crop or haven't even taken off the 08 crop. The marsh is just so full of water, there is no duck food out there. But no matter what the conditions there is always some hunting to be had. One just has to make adjust to the conditions.

6. bang you'r dead

Found a swathed barley field that had bangers in it, but that's all there is in the valley,and we hunted the very end of it, where we saw a few mallards go into last night. Perferct spot, even though very close to the edge of the bush line. Birds worked well, Mike ended up with his limit of Canada geese and mallards, including 3 sets of triples. Nice shooting Mike! Myles had a rougher outing, but shot his first goose! The mosquitoes were threatening to take us away. Gracie had a blast as usual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lab JR.

Lab JR. Refuge Member

We have one in MI that starts in a couple of weeks. There is a ton of wood ducks and mallards where we are going to hunt so i cant wait for our youth hunt!

8. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Bang,

Love it when the young guys show us up in the shooting department. Looks like the boys had a fantastic time!

9. bang you'r dead

Mike took 14 shots to kill his 13 bird limit on Saturday, albeit they were all within 30 yds and all had their feet down when he started shooting, so really, there isn't any excuse to miss those birds anyway. I've got the reloader working and they'll be loading the shells they shoot off, so I don't think they'll be sky-busting too much.

We will have the first batch of jerky on by tomorrow night, with both jerky makers ready to go.

Just to give you an idea of our setup, here is a little movie made of gracie finshing a blind on a mallard that landed behind us on the other side of a ditch, then immediately going to a wounded goose at about 50 yds . Note the flipping mosquitoes. They were grotesque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH0dePp913E

10. bang you'r dead

We are brushing some trails for next week, so we could only do a quick morning shoot today, to keep our field fresh for tomorrow. Myles had a great day, with two pass shots, one at about 30 yds, the other at about 3 yds. The 3 yd shot on the teal was just about perfect. Any closer to centre chest and the bird would have exploded. As it was, we can save one breast for the bbq. He did make a great shot on a passing ringer, and centre hit that one as well.

[​IMG]

Myles' 3 yd teal!

[​IMG]

Mike also was picked this year to do the Environment Canada Wing survey. He's already filled all the first batch and are waiting for more envelopes to arrive. He'll keep them busy this year.

[​IMG]