Youth Shotguns

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by nraduck, Apr 7, 2003.

1. nraduck

nraduck Guest

Well, I need some information on a youth shotgun so I thought that I should ask the experts...

I have been looking at several semi-autos for my son. I like the Remington 1100 3" but have heard several concerns that they do not cycle 2 3/4 shells without problems...other than 2 3/4 mags.

I saw for the first time yesterday the charles dailey 20 ga youth and really like it.

Do any of you have the CD and if so, can you let me know how you like it / problem / good features/ etc...?

Your help is appreciated :D

TJ

2. Duck178

Duck178 Senior Refuge Member

CD.... My frineds dad just got a new 3.5" Pump form CD... Pump works great.. I heard that there 12ga autos Jam up quite often...

3. ducksh0t

ducksh0t Senior Refuge Member

How old is your son? What kind of build is he? I think he would have a lot more success with a 12 gauge. I am 19, i grew up with a Remington 870 Wingmaster (Pump). Have not had any problems with it to date. I started shooting it when i was 11 and i've always been a small kid. I convinced my 10 year old cousin to get one this past year. He killed his first duck with it. He ended up killing a total of 6 ducks this year (1 was a flying shot) as he didn't get to hunt a whole lot. He said he didn't even feel any kick b/c of the excitement.

I have since gotten a Remington 11-87 Premier (semi-auto) and a Mossberg 835 (pump). The auto DOES indeed jam up - especially on cold days. The 835 is a great gun. I use it mostly now because it is camoflauged and my 870 is not. The only problem with the 835 is that the trigger housing is very complicated if you take it apart (I learned this the hard way). The 870 is very easily cleaned. The trigger housing stays together well for a thorough cleaning job.

I recommend the pump because i have never had one that jammed. I also recommend the pump because it teaches better shooting/aiming skills. All too often a semi-auto will entice you to see how fast you can pull the trigger instead of making a good shot and clean kill.

I recommend the 870 pump. You can teach your son to clean it without it being too complicated for either of you. It'll shoot whatever size of shell you want too.

A 20 gauge will work, the kill range is a little more restricted.

See if you can't find an 870 for him to shoot. They are a fairly popular gun... i think? At least they are among the people that i hunt with.

Good Luck,
    Let us know what you decide!

ducksh0t

4. nraduck

nraduck Guest

Duckshot,

Thanks for your info. My son is only 7yrs old...will be 8 in July. I bought him a cricket .22 last year for his birthday and he does great with it.

I have been taking him hunting with me since he was 3...weather permitting...and is is excited about turkey hunting this year and being able to actually hunt...

I do not want to start him out with a pump or single-shot because of recoil. I want to get a 20ga semi-auto for a couple of reasons...

1. recoil
    2. his younger brother will be able to use the gun
    3. Mom can use the gun too.

I went to buy a remington 1100 20ga 3 inch....even though I had been told that 2 /4 light loads would not eject... While at the store, I saw the Charles Daly and liked the looks and feel.

Just looking for anyone who has used this gun to tell me their experience.

Thanks!!

TJ

5. ducksh0t

ducksh0t Senior Refuge Member

That sounds like you got the right gun then! I had an old single shot 12 gauge that my uncle let me borrow before i got my 870. It didn't have a "puss pad" on it or anything. It knocked me down more than once... but i killed a couple of ducks with it =).

Let us know how the CD works for ya. I haven't had any experience with them to speak of.

Good Luck,

ducksh0t

6. PlushHunter

PlushHunter Elite Refuge Member

IF i had a kid well i dont im only 16 but i shoot 870 super mag senthetic and benneli super black eagle id prefer for him a 20 guage 870 youth model with 3 inch also so when he gets little older he can change stock and upgrade on shell size

also the wingmaster is nice also i seen them in pawn shops under 100 dollars for the older ones good for begining duck hunters
    im hooked to my 870 :)

7. SHOOTumINtheLIPS15

SHOOTumINtheLIPS15 Elite Refuge Member

first of all i dont know if any of you guys picked up on this but 1100 on come in 2 3/4 not 3in. if your talkin about 3 in. it might be a 1187. my dads got a 110 and my friends brother does and there both 2 3/4 soo i dunno who was tellin you that a 1100 was 2 3/4 but there wrong

8. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

Before buying a gun for by sons, I checked with wincherter. They gave me a lot to think amout.

#1 3" 20ga. waterfowl loads have a little more "FELT" recoil than a 1 oz 12 ga load. The reason is back pressure. The larger bore in a 12 ga. shortens the shot string, and builds less back pressure.

#2 Winchester told me that if a kid was able to handle a 3" waterfowl load in a 20 ga, he was more than ready to move into a 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz load.

#3 Their suggestion to me was to keep him in a 20 ga. 2 3/4" shell until he was 125 # 5' 4" tall . After that move into a 12 ga. with 1 1/8 oz. loads. They told me there was no advantage to the 3" 20 ga. for a younger shooter.

I went this direction with my sons with great success...

9. Reed Wacker

Reed Wacker Senior Refuge Member

I am now 15, but when I was 10 I got my friend into hunting. His dad bought him a youth 20 guage 870. By the next season, He had out grown it. Now he sometimes takes it, so he can just fool around. It is soo small. If I were to buy a 10 year old a shotgun, I would probably get a Mossberg 500 20 guage. It was my first gun, and I still use it today with slugs. Great gun!

10. Cbass

Cbass Elite Refuge Member

i started with an 870 youth model 20ga. it was great and still is. got my GF hunting with it. still shoots like a champ.