Youth Shotguns

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by nraduck, Apr 7, 2003.

1. GA_LAB

GA_LAB Elite Refuge Member

With the 870 Youth, its still a standard 870 action with a shorter barrel and stocks. After the boy grows out of it, all you have to do is change out the barrel and stocks and he will have a fine wingmaster. So you get twice the use out of it for a cheaper price

2. Flutterin'_Wings

Flutterin'_Wings Elite Refuge Member

the heck with little guns, get him started with a 12 ga. That way he will get use to it and you'll get more money for shells instead of guns!

I started out with a benelli Nova. Have it for 2 years now. Ship Shape. Shoots up to 3 1/2's/ Come on, you gotta give your son some big shots!!!!!

3. Stretch

Stretch Elite Refuge Member

I started my son at 6 with one of those little 410 snakecharmers...The first box of bismuth cost more than i paid for the gun...went to a single 20 after that , then he went to the 20 gu 870 ...He's eleven now , still shooting the 870 and loves it...

Stretch

4. huntinkid

huntinkid Elite Refuge Member

I shot a rem 870 wing when I was barely 8 years old. using som rabbit loads. Didn't hurt me a bit. My dad got me a youth 870 express and I used it-and loved it- for 3 seasons. Then traded it in for a full sized 20 gauge wingmaster. The outh never kicked too hard until Is hot a few big slugs out of it, but deer slugs kcik nomatter what gun you are shooting. I'd get him an 870 youth. Your wife, and his younger brother can shoot it just as easily as they can the 1100. When you are hunting, and young, you never feel a bit of kick in your gun. A shell ejecting from an auto and smacking me in the shoulder hurt me more than my 870 wingmaster 20 gauge with 3" 1 oz mag loads. During the summer, have him shoot some clays using some 7 1/2 2 3/4" loads. He'll get the hang of it. You can get a youth 870 for under $300. It''ll last him as long as he wants it to.

5. Josh B

Josh B Elite Refuge Member

MOssberg 500 20ga pump. HAs a 10 year warranty, and will only cost 200 dollars. I have a mossberg 500 12ga, and both shoot 2 3/4 and 3" shells. I love my gun, and have never had a problem.

JOsh

6. KYduckslayer

KYduckslayer Senior Refuge Member

i am in the process of trading for a cd 20ga youth will get it monday for my 12 year old daughter she already has a 835 moss and takes the recoil fine but the trouble is she has a hard time getting the gun in shooting position and keeping it stable for shot she is a real trooper shot 2 boxs at trap last night and never complained one time the cd will just make it easier for her to hit more targets she also has killed ducks with her 835 but i can tell it gives her a beating / so i would suggest getting ur son the cd 20 cause i have already shot one and they have no recoil at all with 2 3/4 field loads and the 3 inch mags don't give much either they arre the perfect gun for a beginer and the also take a rem choke tube so it will be easy to buy those also/ good luck with what ever u decide

7. SDH Willie

SDH Willie Senior Refuge Member

Dont get a Youth shotgun if hes a big kid. Get him a Full Size shotgun so he wont have to buy another one later on in life! :)

8. SBE4ME

SBE4ME Elite Refuge Member

My son is looking also, right now he has a youth model 870, 20 ga. It is ok but the finish is not that great and it will rust real easy if it is not wiped down all the time. He is wanting an auto 20 so he can also shoot sporting clays. Some of the autos we have looked at are the Benelli Montofeltro youth, the Benelli M1, the Beretta youth, and the Browning Gold Micro. The Benelli M1 is the only one of these that comes in cammo but it is a regular size gun. They say it can easly be cut down. The Remington 1100 does not even come close to the ones mentioned above, the price also reflects this!

Good luck in your search

9. WI WATERFOWL

WI WATERFOWL Senior Refuge Member

I don't know how big you son is but when i was 11 (I am now16) I got a rem 870 20 gauge pump. I was a small kid always havebeen , and still am, but it was great for me. Great gun never had any problms with it and i still have it. I have since moved onto a 12 gauge, but if he is big enough now go for the 12, savesu the from having to get a 12 in couple ears fo him.

10. I am going to be 16, and I am of average height. I am like 5'7". I have been shooting an 870 12 guage 2 3/4inch since I was 10. I love that gun, and don't want to get rid of it. However, I am thinking about getting a Mossberg 835 3.5 inch for my birthday. So for this year for geese, I won't have to many cripples. :D