Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Youth shotguns

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by Sun Drop, Feb 10, 2008.

1. 'tween_fly_ways

'tween_fly_ways Moderator Moderator

I love my Browning Citori and my son's 525. . . but I will never buy another BPS. My brother and I both had BPS's within a year of each other, and they would NOT hold a finish. They'd rust within 2 days of a hunt. Heck, I've got guns 50 years old that wouldn't rust as the BPS's did. I even had mine re-blued after one year of use and it still had issues. Browning told me "well, all metal rusts". . .:rolleyes:

I'm glad I had my Citori before these, or I'd never have bought either.

Just for what it's worth. . .

And my Rem 870 youth is still holding up (finish and all) 9 years after my son started using it. . .

2. singleshot1

singleshot1 Senior Refuge Member

Wait 10 years and buy him the hot gun at that time. No sense in letting a new gun sit in a closet until the kid is old enough to shoot it. Reward yourself with a new gun now if you're itching to throw some money around.

3. BIG BANG

BIG BANG Elite Refuge Member

OOOOPPPSSSSSS!!!

4. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

'tween,

I had the same experience with about three Remingtons in a row, which is why I went back to Brownings.:l

I would vote for the BPS, since I've had such good luck with them for around 20 years.

I did buy a Franchi 620 camo for one of my boys to use when he gets older. A few reasons: Even camo dipped, the stock is wood underneath, so you can shorten/lengthen it easily, lightest gas auto I know of, can be found for less than the newer 720s.:)

5. baileydog

baileydog Elite Refuge Member

Buy a dipped one and the rust is not an issue. Unless you get a Nova they all rust.

6. 'tween_fly_ways

I hear ya Almo, I know it's all anecdotal. I do wonder what causes that though? Bad batch of metal? There's no denying that those guns could NOT be blued with the quality of all other guns I have. . . strange.

7. Sun Drop

Sun Drop Banned

I want to go ahead and get him one of these, because they are acyually well made guns. I have a feeling the Wingmaster will not be made in a youth gun for too long, considering the price. Both guns are blued, and not matte finish, so rust won't be a huge deal. 'Tween, my BPS's are all Stalkers, and they too had rust issues, although my friends' who owh Hunter (blued) models have had no probs. This is the case with all of my blue vs. matte finish guns.

I prefer wood, and blueing for his first gun, also, adult sized stocks are not hard to come by.

His next gun he gets can be what ever nuevo contraption they have out is.

He'll get a pump. His Pa shot a pump until he was 27 years old, so he can start on a pump like everyone else.

He might want a clarinet or something, but I'm at least gonna give it a try.

It's just like Yogi Berra said: "Prediction is difficult, especially when it is about the future."

8. 'tween_fly_ways

So were ours (Stalkers). (BTW, you're done with the advice part of this thread, right? Good.)

New direction. . . I was told that the matte finish was actually a thicker finish than a glossy blueing. . . that they all started out matte but were polished to the glossy. This would make the final coating thinner, but probably more dense.

Any real info here? (No, it's not worth me looking it up right now, as I'm not in the market. . .)

Either way, you're right to go ahead and get the gun.