Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

youth turkey hunt

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Woodduck31, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

We had a good day in the woods looking for turkeys today. A friend and I took our kids, his daughter Julie, and my son Caleb.

We didn't get a bird, but saw some action. We were waiting above a roosting area just before sunrise this morning when a guy and his kid came walking by us, having walked right by our truck parked at the locked gate. Public ground, what can you do? There is only one place to hunt, kind of surprised me they would pull that, but oh well. The killed a young bird right off the roost, didn't tag it till they saw us coming and were still hunting 4 hours later when only one youth was present.

We found some more inaccesable birds later in the day and got to work a big tom, but he was henned up or we bumped him, don't think anyone will be walking through this roost, it was a 10 mile round trip walk and an elevation gain of 1165 feet, the last 400 straight down into no mans land.

We also called in two coyotes to 25 yards by squeeking between my fingers. Maybe we will get the birds tomorrow. Julie has not killed a turkey yet, so it's her turn.

2. HuMMer

HuMMer Senior Refuge Member

Sounds...kinda fun. The first part not so much, but the second sounds like you guys had a good time. Please take some pics and post em up when they get the birds.:tu

Seth-

3. Woodduck31

Well Seth, no pictures today. We walked an additional mile today making it 11 and increased the elevation gain by another 300 feet at total of 1465, but couldn't connect. Not sure these maps are helping, just lets me know how tired I am.

My dad, who lives in Kansas keeps telling me about the turkeys he is seeing out his bathroom window in our pasture, just to rub it in, 200 yards and 15 feet elevation gain. Folks just don't understand what turkey hunting takes up here.

We caught one on the roost this morning got set up good at about 150 yards. Had him gobbling hard on the roost and gave him a couple tree yelps to let him know we were there to which he immediately answered. I heard two birds hit the ground, figure he had a hen with him, but felt confident they would come in. We waited quite a while and heard nothing of him.

We finally bagged it when we saw a red fox strolling through where the birds had been, figured he had spooked them. Two coyotes yesterday and a fox today, maybe we are hunting the wrong thing. Saw lots of sign, maybe the kids can get a bird with us over the next few weeks. They sure have worked hard enough to get one.

They might have been able to arkansaw one yesterday (stalk and shoot), but I decided to keep them from giving up on working the birds the traditional way this early in the season. Just figured that if we can't get him to gobble he ain't worth killin'.

4. IDBrian

IDBrian Senior Refuge Member

A friend and I took both our 12 yr. old daughters this weekend also. Saturday I called in a big tom to within 20 yrds but my daughter couldn't get a shot. This bird was smart, he only gobbled after a crow call but once we set up on him he never gobbled again. I knew he was coming because I could hear him strutting and drumming below us. He came up behind a slash pile, we could see his tail feathers fanned out as he strutted back and forth and he poked his head up over the pile twice but never would come in the last few yards. It was pretty exciting anyways. Yesterday we did a lot of walking but no turkeys.

5. HuMMer

Well that is too bad Don. Is that it for the youth hunts? I look forward to seeing some pics, I am sure you guys will get at least one this spring. I can only hope to get out a couple of times.

Seth-

6. Woodduck31

that's right seth, the youth hunt is only two days. I'm pretty mixed emotioned about the youth hunt anyway. I see a lot of abuses by the adults with the youth, such as not tagging the bird till they saw us coming and trying to hide last weekend.

It seemed like the season started a little early in the area we hunt, the birds were really not into the mating stuff that heavy and all I think we accomplished with a bunch of folks in the woods with kids was to educate and shut the birds up. I guess we will know come thursday.

I've turkey hunted for 19 years now and Idaho is far more difficult to hunt than Kansas and not just because it's steeper. The birds don't seem to work as consistently as they did back home, a day that we didn't get any response on our farm in Kansas was rare, seems like the rule here.

fortunately the duck hunting here in Idaho far surpasses what I had in the Land of Oz.

7. Woodduck31

my oldest got his first in the kansas opener, an 11.5 inch beard 1.25 spur, bigger than any I've shot, the knothead. he had a tryout with the college baseball team back there and will be seeing what they will give him aid wise tomorrow. He threw 88 mph in his tryout, the coach got pretty excited.

my dad retired from teaching at the college he wants to go to, grandpa is having a good time teaching the boy a few things about turkey hunting.

8. HuMMer

Awesome!! Tell Josh it looks good. I hope to get out soon, having a hard time trying to find time.

Seth-

9. Woodduck31

found a better one seth.

10. HuMMer

Oh man that is just awesome! And that is on your dad's farm right? Dang that looks so great!

Seth-