Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Youth Turkey hunt

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by salthunter, Apr 10, 2005.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Friday evening my daughter and i headed down to for the Youth hunt. My father-in-law had lined us up on a couple properties. We watched 42 turkeys go to bed. Along with 4 other pickups with youth hunters. :clap
    Saturday found a different pickup parked where we planned to go. I had a back-up plan (walk further). It was just a few fellows waiting for the general opener.
    We watched birds get off the roost and head every direction except towards us.
    Later we hooked up with another dad and son. They were after the same gobblers as us. The boy wanted to sneak up on them!
    My daughter and i set up above the group of birds, hopping the boy would push then to us.....
    We did have some excitement, gobblers calling back, hens calling to us. Not much happened during the afternoon and evening.
    I was really surprised at the number of dads that had their kids out after toms. Nice to see such excitement in a youth hunt.
    However after seeing so many youth hunters i cant imagine the zoo for next week :eek:
    We were on a dead end two track and must have seen over 20 pickups on that trail that ive never seen 20 pickups in 15 years.
    Idaho,.. welcome to Utah!!! :cry

2. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Well, you got to see a few and hear a few. We took my buddies daughter out yesterday with the normal results. The only thing we heard was the drone of 4 wheelers. Someone must get a turkey once in awhile road hunting from those things, I just can't figure out how or why. We found a surprising large amount of snow and little food, so it will probably be a week before the birds move up into our area. We hiked 6+ miles and gained 1500', but that wasn't enough to get away from people. I did successfully call in 4 other hunters, I hope they are still wandering around looking for that hen. There were a bunch of new dead falls across the main road from a storm a week ago, caused us to walk an extra 3 miles. My dad was sure to let me know that he will have to walk 200 yards to the pasture behind the house in eastern Kansas.

3. BoiseRiverHunter

BoiseRiverHunter Senior Refuge Member

Sorry to hear about all the people. I also hunt public/private ground (university of Idaho ground) but it is closed to 4 wheelers and if caught it's not good. I really like hunting there because for some reason I have only ever seen one person hutting back there in the past three years I do hope this year is no different but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I guess people just don't like to walk.

I hope you guys can get them this weekend. :tu

4. Woodduck31

I hope they start cracking down on the 4 wheeler activity behind the locked gates. If people have to walk in, it really cuts down on the pressure. I've found duck hunting to be much the same, if you can get beyond the reach of a boat you can hunt virtually unmolested.

I just talked to my dad today, they had 150 turkeys in a pasture next to his place a couple weeks ago, sounds like road trip time to me.

5. salthunter

My family is lives in Minnesota and both my brothers thinks turkeys are nuisence animals. One raises ginsing on the side and turkeys are always digging in the beds.
    While my other brother was on the phone with my wife he had 20 in the yard.
    Right before i left Miinesota the state opened some areas up to unlimited turkey hunting to get rid of certian breeds of turkey .

6. Woodduck31

don't that just kill ya salthunter-- my dad rubs it in as much as possible of course. He will call me on his cell phone looking out of the upstairs bathroom telling me about the group of toms strutting in the pasture. They really don't cause that much trouble around the farm, but I could see where the ginseng might be a problem, I wonder if they mess with morels. I have a lifetime Kansas license, but until Caleb is done with baseball, I always feel like I can't go, don't want to miss him doing something great on the field. I can probably wait another two years, the farm isn't going anywhere and every year there are more birds than the last.

7. birdhntr

birdhntr Senior Refuge Member

I went out Saturday afternoon just walking around looking for a good spot for Friday and saw more vehicles and four wheelers than I would have expected. Don't youth hunters have to be accompanied by an adult? I saw on two occasions, kids riding four wheelers together with no parent in sight.

I moved out west from PA 12 years ago and was spoiled with great turkey hunting on our farm. Two birds per year and no hunting pressure. This looks like it's going to be combat hunting at it's finest. I havn't hunted turkeys since PA so this is going to be an eye opener.

8. Woodduck31

You are correct that a youth hunter must be accompanied by an adult.

in most places I've hunted in Idaho, you just don't get the traditional feel of turkey hunting. I've called birds in for people nearly every year since moving here. I seem to always be the last on the list to shoot and my number just never comes up. We have one more youth among my friends who has yet to kill a turkey, so until she gets her bird, I'm still on the waiting list. I've shot lots of birds prior to moving here 14 years ago, but have yet to take an Idaho bird. I don't really mind not getting to shoot as much as how little opportunity you get around here to work a bird and how often your hunt gets busted. I rarely had a hunt busted in Kansas and Illinois, but I was always on private ground. Having a hunt busted there was no big deal, just move on to another bird. Here in Idaho, it's a huge deal, that may be the only opportunity you have for a week, or even a season. The IDFG has already allowed guides and outfitters to guide turkey hunting on property that they own, it's only a matter of time before they can guide on their leases and public land. At that point turkey hunting will be over for all except the rich, kind of like they way all hunting out here is going.

9. Hambone

Hambone Elite Refuge Member

You guys are making me sick! :mad: I think I'm gonna cancel my vacation day for Friday or just stay home and get some work done. If there's one thing I can't stand it's hunting in a crowd. ESPECIALLY for turkeys! They're not like deer where if everyone gets them stirred up it actually increases your chance for a shot. When turkeys are disturbed they clam up and run off. I don't care to ambush 'em or try and sneak up on them - very ineffective and dangerous too! I want to set up on them and talk that wary old gobbler into range. Can't do that with competition - it's a one-on-one kinda game and somebody else will just mess you up. I'm like you Don, might hav'ta schedule a little midwest vacation in April each year. Go visit the folks - sorta.

10. salthunter

The vehicles kept us entertained. And we did see some kids that were hunting without adults too.
    One sad note. Ive snowmobled the landowners ground and ATV, rock picked and generally tramped around this area for years. The landowner is fairly generous if you ask.
    Friday evenig someone drove on wet roads and tore the field up
    Saturday afternoon everything was posted and blaze orange paint every.
    Im not sure if it was another hunter or whats going on? :(
    The invasion continues