Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Youth Waterfowl

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by carolina girl, Feb 7, 2018.

1. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I missed the thread, sorry.

States says youth hunters 16/under need only state waterfowl stamp to participate. Feds say anyone 16 and older needs a fed stamp.

Some gray area if your 16, which is it?

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Everyone needs State stamp. Fed stamp needed 16 and older.

Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp…$15.00
    (at U.S. Post Offices and at www.duckstamp.com)…$17.00

(also from sport license agents, DNR online licensing, and DNR Licensing and Registration Service Centers)

This stamp is required for all waterfowl hunters, including those who are not required to purchase a hunting license, except those under the age of 16. The stamp must be signed in ink and possessed while hunting waterfowl and coots. A printed receipt indicating the purchase of a Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp will be accepted as evidence of that purchase for 45 days. The stamp will be mailed to the purchaser. The proof of purchase will expire after 45 days and the purchaser must then sign the stamp in ink and possess it while hunting waterfowl and coots.

3. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

That info is a little
    Outdated....

4. Dee Tee

Dee Tee Elite Refuge Member

So my 16 year old wants to go on Youth day for her first hunt, but the DNR Compass site doesn't have Fed Duck stamps available to order online for her. If I have a receipt from duckstamp.com will that suffice? Or does it has to be printed on the license? I'm going to stop at the Post Office tomorrow and hope that they have one there, but that's hit or miss.

5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

my understanding is if you attempt to purchase your stamps at a sporting goods store and they don't have them they will issue you your license showing your purchased the stamps and you have up to 45 days to get the stamps and affix and sign depending on whether it is a state or federal stamp as I believe you only need to sign one now but not 100% sure. if you have a receipt from duckstamp.com with a recent receipt date with the license I don't see that as an issue but then again I am not the DNR. I would call the DNR if in doubt but even if you call each DNR officer at times applies different discretion and are not always consistent just like police officers, prosecutors and judges. if the stamp doesn't get sent in 45 days you are responsible to reach out to DNR and could get issued a fine if you paid and it doesn't show up. Kinda crazy that if you paid and it doesn't show up that you could get fined if it shows purchase on your license but I guess they don't want folks buying one federal stamp and attempting to share. I just don't see everyone keeping track of the days when they purchased their license if they do from a place that doesn't have a federal stamp at time of purchase to know hey I am at the 40 or 44th day and need to reach out to DNR and find out why the federal stamp hasn't shown up yet.

The proof of purchase will expire after 45 days and the purchaser must then sign the stamp in ink and possess it while hunting waterfowl and coots.

6. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Is there ever a post you write that is not a short book? Lol

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

scotty, you come off on every post as a resident know it all on here and also the marylandwhitetail site. your arrogance about being all mighty duck and turkey hunter on public lands as if anyone else having success hunting on private is far less than your skills. you arrogant and strong comments have pizzed folks off more than once. you really have some issues. I sent you a private PM about your other comments but saw you posted here and felt enough is enough and would respond. god forbid anyone post up any information about a public hunting spot that you hunt or anything else you disagree with and you spout off strongly with your arrogance.

8. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

So, if checked by a state warden, a 16 yr old would not be in violation if only possessing the state stamp (in accordance with Md law). However, if checked by a Federal warden, the 16 yr old will be in violation?

9. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

Just buy both stamps n if they r out of stamps have proof of purchase. I’d go to a store to get it not offline. If u go on line to buy it I’m sure they will have a printable proof of purchase. Under 16 sounds like only need state stamp but I’d just buy both anyhow. It is dumb they print it on ur license but still require u to have the stamp on ur license in 45 days. Just another loop hole they can stack the tickets up on u for. Same as Big game harvest paper n field tags in general.

10. Dee Tee

Dee Tee Elite Refuge Member

So if I log on to the Compass site with my account I can select and purchase a Federal Duck Stamp no problem. I'm thinking that the site is not offering it because she is a youth, but obviously still needs it at 16. I'll try the Post Office, then the hunting store and buy online with my account tonight as a last resort. Thanks.