Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat.....

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Mallets, May 27, 2017.

1. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

I made a new discovery about waterfowling. Once you stop paying attention to this site, Facebook, YouTube, hunting magazines, hunting shows on television---and hunt in the style that you like ( it varies among all of us ) you will have a consistently fun experience. Pick up a gear issue of favorite magazine to see if anything new you want to buy. I discovered this technique fishing last few years---I do my own successful thing and no attention to media of any type on fishing. I check the weather forecast for less windy days. I might have an unhappy experience with another boat once a year.

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I'm with Mallets on this. The second video I looked up from FDH is can tell exactly to the inch where they are. It also explains why the spot they were videoing use to be great and one of our go to spot and why now it's sucks. If you think fires and camping out all night doesn't bump birds off the roost/area your nuts fdh. We discovered, years ago, any pressure to certain areas in the evening kills any chance the next morning. That's exactly why certain managed areas have restricted hunting times. But as you said, no one got to the spot before you so congrats. Oh yes, and delaying to post so people don't ruin it before you go back that season, is an acknowledgment by you that your still aware people will recognize it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

There are a lot of photos out there that now contain geo-location data (smartphones) , and you can pick up the latitude and longitude right off the picture. That may help a bit with the scouting.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. FDH

FDH New Member

The only people who will recognize where we are hunting are guys, like yourself, who already have intimate knowledge of the area and I don't think that will have an impact. Did you recognizing that spot have any tangible impact for the future? I'd say No! Sounds like if anything it made it less likely you will go back there.

Like I said in a previous post. We move around a bunch and only hunt the same spots 1-3 times a year. I just don't see how a few hunters like yourself who have already hunted that location in the past recognizing the spot, will make much difference.

When spending time thinking about this issue here are the key questions I came up with:
    Will some people identify where we are hunting? (Yes)
    Who will identify where we are hunting? (Hunters who already have in-depth knowledge of location)
    Will that change their hunting behavior? (Not likely)
    Will anyone who doesn't already know about the location identify where we are hunting? (No)
    Long term Impact of a few hunters seeing a hunt at a location they already know about: Minimal

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Tuleman likes this.
  5. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Watched one of the FDH videos. Goofball shot 3 hen mallards and posted video of it. Couldn't make it through the whole thing. With 5000 subscriber's to the channel and today's technology I would think you would start to realize that your #$#$$*""" your own bed. I feel for the guys who have hunted these areas for years just to see them plastered all over the web.

6. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

One of these days I'm going to post a video of an all hen duck shoot. Just to tweek some of you boys. :dv

Diprivan likes this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Give me a call before you hold this all-hen hunt, KS'; I want to be a part of it. :tu

Diprivan likes this.
  8. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

1 guy--- three hen mallards. You wanna shoot hens go for it. Your choice. If you wanna shoot over the limit on hens go for it and take your chances. If you shoot over the limit on hens and post video of it your probably a dumbass.

Diprivan and dux/24 7 like this.
  9. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Classic. :dv

You sure it was 3 hens and that there was only one guy? Or is that just an Assumption?

10. FDH

FDH New Member

It was my buddies first ever mallard hunt during his first year of duck hunting. 15 mallards came in and he unloaded his gun. He dropped two with this first shot and a third on his next. I chose to leave that section of video in because sometimes these things happen by mistake, especially with new hunters.