yuma blind

Discussion in 'Arizona Flyway Forum' started by umahunter, Jan 25, 2003.

1. umahunter

umahunter Elite Refuge Member

i was wondering if there are any yuma area hunters interested in building a pitching on on and helping build a blind this off season i have a small construction company so i got the tools well if anyones interested let me know:D :D

2. Widgnwhacker

Widgnwhacker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Umahunter

where did you plan on building this blind ????

WW

3. umahunter

thats a good question i guess if anybodys interested i would colaberate then find a suitable spot then build something it will probly take a bit of searching to find a spot likely to attract alot of birds and be worth building a blind maybe somewhere on the river where some seed could be planted and also have regular food source im sure theres some good spots on the river and im not sure about something at mitry well if anybodys up for it im game:D :D :D

4. redheadcali

redheadcali Elite Refuge Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: Permanant blind???

5. umahunter

i plan on building something simi permanent something that can be moved or dimanteled if need be i think i am going to comb the river for some spots to try bio logics waterfowl blend since most of the soil around the river has good potential for this stuff and i guess i will go from there its something to try if it works then thats great if not i wll have my boat blind to hunt from im sure there are some spots that might work it just takes a lil searching well if anyones up for it let me know:D :D

6. Widgnwhacker

Widgnwhacker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

umahunter,

I believe that it is ILLEGAL to build a permanent blind unless it is on Private Property , you may want to check with AZFGD before undertaking this project. Also planting seed on the river may be considered hunting on a baited area. Most of the ducks that frequent the lower river are Gadwall , Teal and Widgeon. The majority of these ducks eat aquatic plants such as hydrilla etc. Again I would check with the AZGFD , before doing any of what you have mentioned. It may save you some embarrasment and dollars.

WW

7. umahunter

these are things i thought of aswell i have been talked to the game managerback and forth for weeks and they are also planing on trying to do some planting i will probly be working with gfd to try something at mitry but on the river aswell they are interested in improveing habitat around yuma and bringing bigger bird numbers since the impact cibola has had on yuma numbers and if planting takes place in the off season it pretty much different types of plants that will benifit more than just ducks and is more of a habitat thing then baiting if you wanted to go dump seeds right before or during season that would be a problem im not real sure about the blind at this point if i find a good spot it might happen but i think i am going to try to helpgame and fish with this idea i plan to talk to the game manager next week so i will fill ya in on how it goes and im sure they will need volenteers if anyone is interested:D :D

8. bullwidgeon

bullwidgeon Senior Refuge Member

When Picacho used to have water, there were at least 10 permanent blinds out there every year built by guys. Game and Fish came to the lake several times every year to check hunters and nobody ever got tickets for the blinds as far as I know(I used to hunt more than 40 days a year there). I never hunted the permanent blinds, I always stuck to the tule and salt cedar holes but I do know after the birds got blasted at a few times it seems like they would avoid the blinds that were not completely buried in tules and they seemed to work non blind areas better until we got a new push of birds. I don't think anyone ever planted anything at Picacho, kinda hard to get stuff (duck food) to grow in 3 and 4 foot of water I imagine.

Bret M.

9. Dr.Quack

Dr.Quack Senior Refuge Member

Bull is correct. According to the fish and games "status of use on public land"....a semi-permanent blind may be erected on any public land, however, it must not have any permanent (i.e. concrete, rebarb, cement, ect) footings or supports. Also, if a blind is constructed on public property it is to be considered public property (i.e. you build it and they will come).

10. Birdup

Birdup Moderator

I have used a semi-permanent blind. It was great. I made a 6x12 deck with rails and a lid and floated four 55 poly drums under id. It was real stable with 3 hunters and 2 dogs. It towed out to my site fine. I used 4 10' 2x4's sunk in a 5gal bucket of ready-mix as slide rails to keep it from floating off. They also worked to keep the blind at the level of the water. I got the idea from docks I have seen. I made it all modular so I could take it apart in the off season.

As far as it being public. I never had a problem with other people using it. "If you hide it they will not come". I also bolted a sign to it that said who built it and that I only hunt on Sat and Sun. They are welcome to use it. etc... Heck I even left my chairs on it all season long. (rubermaid painted camo).

Since your a fellow Yuman I can send you my plans for it if your interested in the design.