Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Yut Day Success....Michala's first turkey

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Trophyduck, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Turkey Camp (also known as Duck and Deer Camp, and my house) was buzzing with excitement. I think from the adults more than the kids:grvn Sleep was at a minimum...
    We arrive to a perfect dawn and begin our trek down the field to the woods edge for the first "Hoot and Listen"...Along our way I'm reminded of the Monty Python scene where the Knight is storming the castle and everytime they show him, he is never any closer...We can see the woods, but we just ain't gettin' there!
    Well we finally arrive and I pull out the "Ronco pocket Call (remember the Ronco POcket Fisherman?) Mine has a name, Doug.:l
    He gives a hoot, nothing. Move, nothing....one more and he gets the owls hooting but still no gobble. I'm thinking of returning for a full refund:reader
    So we set up in a spot known for turkeys being there anyway hope for the best, thinking the birds may be sleeping in. Out go the dekes, one being Henrietta, a bird I mounted for a decoy. After some calling and :pra we hear the first gobble. He's across the farm...
    Back to the Knight scene.....off we run to set up in a finger of woods to cut the distance in half. Out of shape me and Ronco, and my daughter who is fighting a chest cold. We make it!
    Out go the dekes and set up on the field's edge. The calling starts.....nothing? Well after a short wait we see a bird in the field 450yds out and the show starts but Michala and I can't see it. We were told of his strutting by our other Bwana, Dave.
    We hear the gobbling and can follow his progress. I'm sitting next to Michala and give her instructions on what to do if.....The bird moves to our left and I have her reposition. The bird is coming!
    We see him pop out of the woods edge.....he left the field came via the woods...and OH WHAT A SIGHT! The sun was shining on him as he strutted his stuff and God, was he beautiful. He makes his way to our setup coming right to Henrietta and moves across towards our right to the Jake. The reposition was a mistake as he is in the hole her gun USED to be:doh
    He's facing us the whole time so we can't move. M waits for him to strut to lift her gun off the trigger stick. He struts, I grab the stick so it won't fall, off comes the gun and she is now free hand tracking the bird. Being right handed and moving to the right while on your butt is no easy task as you know.....I tell her to take him when you can.....I'm afraid he's getting to where she won't be able to shoot.
    I hear the click of the safety and BANG!!!! DOWN FLOPS A LONG BEARD!!!! OH My GOD!! What a hunt! Hoots, hollars, hugs and high fives! So proud of my girl!!

2. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

Great story and congrats to Michala but
    WE NEED PICTURES!

3. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

You asked!
    Proud Daddy and Daughter
    [​IMG]

M's first turkey!
    [​IMG]

Dad & M
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ronco!
    [​IMG]

Dave snapped this pic, one of my faves!
    [​IMG]

4. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

Bee You Tee Full!! Way to go Ms M!!! (and Dad)

5. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

What a great day!!

Bert

6. Trophyduck

I almost forgot.....many thanks to "Ronco" an Dave!!

7. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Awesome, I have goose bumps just reading the story :clap:clap

Who's the ugly dude with your daughter????

8. Trophyduck

Well I can't imagine you mean me...... So that leaves RONCO:flame

9. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Looks kinda like a drahthaard to me. :scratch

Congrats to your daughter trophyduck!

10. pat williams

pat williams Senior Refuge Member

great seeing the young ladys hunting congrats on
    her first bird