Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Yute Day Saturday!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by dakndug, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Well the 2 Yutes in our group both had encounters. One swing and a miss the other layed the smack down on a LB. I'll let Dad tell the story! Congrats to Butch and Tate! Way to go!

Doug

2. pat williams

pat williams Senior Refuge Member

congrats to your grandson on youth day my son and i had 2 jakes in shooting range but he want to shoot a bigger bird. i let him make the choice. it was his day and we came up empty handed.

3. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Took a 15 year old kid since my two kids were walking in the little league parade (seen it five times, didn't mind missing it today.) He's a big deer hunter but never turkey hunted before.

First light, gobbling was spotty and distant, but we had a bunch of hens go nuts, and one huge old girl traveled a long way to come molest our decoy, and soon two were pecking away at it. Got a good video of the carnage.

But no Toms responded despite the live decoys, so we took a walk, then a drive, then another drive, without hearing another gobble. Finally, at about 11:30 we stopped by a little piece I have near the boy's house. It only has a few acres of woods off of a big block, but it is a place I see turkeys often, and I figured I'd just try it quick so I could say I left no stone unturned. Sure enough, lit one up, and he came in hot and heavy but hung up hard, strutting away for 30 minutes at 50 yards. No cover to try to outmaneuver, eventually a live hen came along and pulled him across the property line.

The young man was great, no complaints even in the slow period between 7:30 and 11:30. And I gotta give him credit for not taking a long shot at 50 yards when he had only practiced out to 20 yards. Hopefully we'll get another crack at them this season.

I'd have loved to wait him out, but I had two ballgames waiting. But a real nice morning with a good kid that had a pretty exciting first turkey hunt.

4. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Great day with this 13 year old yute. 1st bird, super jake with 5 inch beard, 15.5 lbs.

First shot is hunter point of view (look for dead turkey in front of decoy).
    [​IMG]

Second Shot is from the "Bird's Eye" view.
    [​IMG]

Third is of the happy hunter with his trophy.

[​IMG]

5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

That's awesome! Congrats to you both!

Doug

6. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Marshbum, looks like a good set up, congrats!

7. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

the successful hunters and their proud "guides".......Sorry I didn't say anything sooner....floating too high with my "own" successes......

Again Congrats, I KNOW you all were pumped! Savor the memories

8. Dave Sikorski

Dave Sikorski Elite Refuge Member

Great pictures and congrats on a great hunt!

-D

9. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Marshbum,
    Awesome 1st Pic :tu:tu:tu