Zebra Mussells and catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by kswaterfowler, Jul 2, 2010.

1. So they have discovered zebra mussels in the lake that is the headwaters for our river. Its also in the other reservoir and in the Cottonwood river as well as the Neosho now. We have good flathead and channel cat fishing, with a few other less desirable. What did zebra mussels do to your fishery when they invaded. I guess there is debate on whether they can even survive in our river because it is so muddy.

2. tennduckdog

tennduckdog Elite Refuge Member

Read up on Lake Erie, it is THE smallmouth bass fishery and one hell of a walleye and steelhead fishery. I lived in PA for several years and fished Erie and its tributaries on a regular basis during that time. Industrial waste from the shores of Erie and the shipping that took place there put quite a hurt on the lake back in the day from what I understand, to the point that you would be cautious about the fish you ate out of the lake. Now it is a world class fishery, crystal clear water too. I doubt that zebra mussels are good for ALL fisheries, but in the case of Erie they definitely did more good than harm.

3. Bodawg

Bodawg Moderator

From what I have read they will clear a lake up, this is not always a good thing. The sun penetrates deeper and can cause growth which again has a good and a bad side. The most undesirable affect is the growth on peoples outboards, dam areas where they can clog the intakes, and in general cause a lot of havoc. Missouri Department of Concervation had a story on the zebra mussels and a sort of cause and effect.

4. I know the Erie smallmouth population exploded, but we dont have many smallmouth around here. The rivers have flathead and channel cats, gar, drum, carp, buffalo, and white bass. The main lake I am thinking of has a small crappie population, white bass, and all the others previously mentioned. I am sure there are a few largemouth in there just for good measure. The lake is full of shad which I am sure the zebra mussels would have an impact on since they compete for the same food source.

5. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

The biggest threats are to native mussels and mollusks. There are also lots of questions regarding their value in the food chain to fish and even ducks. Such as with any non-native invasive species it is not good for the balance of the existing ecosystem.

6. LA yard dog

LA yard dog Elite Refuge Member

They made catfishing easier for me. If you gut 'em, you'll see they love 'em. Find ya a good zebra mussel bed, and you be on the fish.

7. jhc60

jhc60 Senior Refuge Member

Bodawg is right on about Zebra mussels and Asian clams being pest. On the Cumberland they are clogging up alot of water treatment plant intakes, dams, etc. I've found them in raw water storage tanks, settling basins etc. They can live well in muddy conditions and just about anywhere.

8. Gmann

Gmann Elite Refuge Member

Zebra mussels have recently invaded a local lake on the TX/OK border, Lake Texoma and are spreading very rapidly. As to your question about them and catfish, seems as though blue cats are very fond of them. This one was only about 2 lbs but was plumb full of zebras :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are some big blues in this lake and lots of them, I hope they can keep them somewhat under control, but I ain't holding my breath. :z

9. fourche creek

fourche creek Elite Refuge Member

about 10 or 12 years ago the arkansas river had a bunch of zebra mussles in it,,would cut your line with a crankbait or worm ect... well the catfish found them to be tasty, we dont even see them (zebra mussles) anymore..

10. TEAMGTG

TEAMGTG Senior Refuge Member

Theres a lot of debate about the zebra mussels, but as previously mentioned lake erie is now a worldclass smallmouth and perch fishery mostly because of the mussels cleaning the water. The deeper water that had little value because it had no plantlife is now a zone filled with fish because of the light values and oxygenation of the water with plants.
    Clearer water isnt always a better thing, but its something you'll have to get used to because I don't think theres any amount of manpower that will get ahead of the zebra mussel infestation, and there are promising chemicals on the market to kill them, but nobody's got enough diffinative proof that they do more good than harm to the ecosystems.