Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Zebra Mussels now in the Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by yellowdog05, Jul 16, 2010.

1. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    of that stuff that is sprayed onto the grass by those landscape companies?:joker

2. woodiefever

woodiefever Senior Refuge Member

But aquatic vegetation loves that stuff just as much as vegetation on land.
    Problem is there are not enough bay grasses... native or invasive doesnt matter, To absorb it before algae proliferates.

3. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

I love that theory & I never heard if the study was finished. Theoretically though, wouldn't the HUGE hit on the bluebill population tail off as those original, highly toxic mussels died off (or were eaten by bluebills)? Regardless.....taken out of the population.

Just a thought.

4. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

thats the same thing i was thinking! if it is the case once the "toxic" levels are decreased the numbers of bluebills should bounce back.

as for the zebra's i cant find a bad thing except cost to people fish seem to love to eat them new food for ducks, maybe start areas for native animals to return to, but it will require "people" to spend more money cleaning them from dams and docks....to me its a small trade off for a cleaner bay

5. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

If these zebra mussels filter out the toxins and accumulate them in their tissue, and then are either consumed or die, aren't those toxins re-released back into the water when the duck that ate them dies in the water, or the mussel decomposes?

6. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

They can tear up the bottom of a Yacht, bad ! Make barnacles look wimpy.

I watched a show about a port in Cali, they put plates in the water for 3 years....after that time only one native species was found on the plate, many Asian species were present.

7. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Sean,
    Im not sure I agree with that. They do not attach themselves the same as barnacles do. They are much easier to remove than barnacles.

8. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

Notice I said yachts, they tend to sit idle for alot longer periods of time. They supposedly leave a deeper poc mark where they've attached than barnacles, over longer periods of time. They also can live inside your bildge, cooling system and lower units. This might be mitigated on boats used alot and that travel to saltier areas of the bay. They can
    damage cooling systems of all types, this isn't good especially on diesels on large boats that sit idle most of the year. Could cost someone a 20-40,000 dollar engine.

http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/publications/pdfs/protectyourboat.pdf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/23/AR2009052301793.html

9. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

I know how to get rid of them:
    1.. Spread rumor that eating zebra mussels cures cancer and impotence
    2. Widely publish recipes for mute swan with zebra mussel stuffing
    3.Open up commercial harvest
    5 years tops,SHAZAAM they are all gone.

10. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

We had a short bout of them(or something similair) right after Isabelle, up here in the northern bay. The creeks were crystal clear, until they died off.