Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Zebra Mussels now in the Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by yellowdog05, Jul 16, 2010.

1. cancan

cancan Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

2. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

I am not smart enough to answer that question beyond "it depends on the toxin".

3. john scanlon md

john scanlon md Elite Refuge Member

True for heavy metals (Hg, Cr, Pb etc). Organics (ie viruses, pesticides etc) maybe not

4. muddyduck

muddyduck Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking also only true if the duck happens to die in that same water.

If the scaup were picking up toxins in Lake Erie, (not enough to kill them but enough to effect egg/brood survival), and didn't die in Erie but are spread across the continent, some killed by birds of prey, some by man, some by freak accidents like flying into radio towers, some from old age, then those toxins from the mussels would be dispersed in very small quantities through out the migration corridor.

Looking at the 1955-2010 average population numbers the Scaup decline started in the mid-1980's and seems to be in a rebound since 2005. Maybe it could be that the toxic zebra mussels have just about all been consumed and the toxics dispersed thoughout the environment where they would be less concentrated and less of of threat.

Who knows? I'm just speculating off of earlier posts in this thread. It could be one explaination for the uptick in breeding success. I guess we'll have to wait and see how long the rebound lasts and if the scaup numbers reach their historic averages.

5. pamungus

pamungus Elite Refuge Member

sometimes i feel people know the answer but its just not a popular answer so its never brought out for everyone to know.

a example of this is our phesants i have heard all kinds of answers on why they are gone but the common answer is loss of habitat and that bs! in the early 80's i hunted a farm that had alot of phesants 5 years after no-till farming started they were gone nothing else changed for miles and i mean miles around this farm.....hell i dont think a house has been built on hess rd for 30+ years and the area is still the same.

6. bad karma

bad karma Senior Refuge Member

Well...what's your unpopular answer ? :confused: