Zero Pin Gap - Sight Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Dski, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Dski

Dski Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have suggestions on a mid-priced sight that allows for zero pin gap?

I shoot a LH Fred Bear Instinct and want to set the pins for 20-30-40 yards. My Copper John won't let me get the pins close enough together to do so. It's the cheapo Cabelas mounted as part of the kit.

2. RETRO

RETRO Elite Refuge Member

If they are that tight just use 1 pin and hold high or low..When pins are to tight it makes it hard to place on the target/deer..

3. Dski

Dski Senior Refuge Member

I like your logic! Is it common to have this (good) problem with fast bows?

Maybe I can sight 20-40-60 and just use the 60 for target practice. After that it would only be handy if a follow up were needed on a wounded animal. Guess I'm just stubborn in thinking I need 3 pins - it appears 2 might be all I really need.

4. Quaxalot

Quaxalot Elite Refuge Member

I have three pins that I use for practice, but only use one for hunting. It means that my maximum range is a little shorter, but I don't ever have to think about what pin to use if the animal is in my self-imposed maximum range.

5. RETRO

I ama shooting 285fps..I have one pin 0-30 second pin is 35, third is 45 fourth 55 fifth is 65..These are at factory setting but the 5th pin i had to move it down a lil..They are spaced about a 1/8" apart...I can shoot one pin to 40 just sometimes it is hard to remember to aim high for me..

6. RETRO

Sight your first pin in at 20 yards..It will be a lil high at 10..Then back off to 25 to see how it shoots and then check to see where 30 is..All will fall short at 30 so sight the next pin in at 35 that will cover you from 30-40 yards..Next pin in at 45 that will cover you from 40-50..

7. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

Can you move your sites out away from your bow anymore? This would allow for more space between pins and more accurate shooting.

8. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 pins.....20, and 40yds.

If I have to shoot at 30, I eyeball the center between the pins....If it is more than 30, I am get closer to the 40yd pin, if it is less than 30, I get closer to the 20. I haven't missed a deer yet doing it this way.....(I have missed deer...lol, but not because of this method!)

9. GOOSER2

GOOSER2 Senior Refuge Member

Last fall I had my 3 pins set for 20, 35, and 45 yards respectively during cold
    (40-60 degrees). This July I started shooting and my first pin is on target to about 35 yards and my 2nd pin is high at 45 yards. I haven't moved them from last winter. I did however have a new string put on during the early part of the season and I wonder if it stretched. Would that add speed/elevation?

10. ghak99

ghak99 Elite Refuge Member

Depends on the string you had put on.

Some high quality strings are prestretched and "should" not stretch. Every bow is a little different, and a string stretching will cause different things on different bows.