Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Zettler Didn't get

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Jon C, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

The last deer in Stark County!!!

Friday I got to the pop up blind at 3:00. Would have liked to get there earlier but you know the thing called work got in the way. The walk to the blind wasn't bad at all. The guys who hunted out of the blind during second shotgun season had drove a tractor right past the blind. Walking in the tracks of the tractor worked out really well. Anyway I got the tripod for the camera set up ( I have been trying to get a shot on tape all year but it has never worked out) At 3:15 I hear a shot across the Spoon River, now I'm getting excited. There is proof that Zettler didn't get the last deer in Stark county. I'm sitting over a food plot of standing corn, deer tracks everywhere, waiting, waiting, and nothing. I see movement, a doe about 160 yards at the far end of the food plot. I turn the camera on get the camera on the deer, get my my shooting sticks up look through the scope.....Where did the deer go? I can't see it anywhere, I stop looking through my scope and start glassing the the timber line. Not there, I glass the food plot, nothing there. Where did this doe go? I turn the camera off, and I'm just straining my eyes to try and find this deer. It has to be in the food plot, at the west end of the food plot there is some thick grass along with the corn, so I figure that the doe must have slipped in there. Movement, I see movement in the food plot. She needs to step into an opening quick daylight is fading fast. I wait and wait she must be content tofeed right there in the thick stuff. Now I'm kickng myself for messing around with the camera and not taking the shot right away. I've been waiting for 10 minutes now for this doe to step into an opening. Still nothing. I'm just about to pack it up when I see movment out of the corner of my eye, there's another doe coming down the hill to the food plot. I know I don't have much before she gets to thick part of the food plot. I turn the camera on, get her in my crosshairs pull the trigger, BOOM smoke fills the blind........as the smoke clears I see two does run off, up the hill, not limping not struggling, nothing wrong. My heart sinks down into my stomach. I missed, how could I miss? I had a good rest, I was steady, I MISSED. Man am I mad at myself!!! Sitting in the cold, I finally see and get a shot and I miss!!!. I reload the smoke pole and go and look for blood, just in case I hit her, you know there could be that chance and with the snow on the ground it would be easy tracking. I walk to the west end of the food plot, by this time the sun has gone down but I can still see pretty well with all of the snow. I walk and walk looking for blood. Nothing, must have been a clean miss. I walk alittle farther and I see a dark spot laying in the snow, so a walk farther and faster, it's the doe I shot!!! Another doe must have snuck in the back side of the food plot and when I shot the doe it dropped right in it's tracks. With all the smoke from the shot all I saw was two does running off.

It turned out to be a very good hunt. Lots of ups and downs, I did get the shot on tape, but the quality wasn't the best I will have to work on that. There is proof, I have it on tape. Zettler didn't shoot the last deer in Stark County.

Good Hunting,
    Jon C

2. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I guess I was wrong.Congratulations.:tu
    Some day I,m gonna try one those black powder guns.

DANNY

3. Jon C

This was the first year I have hunted with a black powder. I bought a CVA, actually off the classifieds here on the fudge a few years ago. It took alittle while getting it sighted in. I finally found the right bullet grain and since then the gun has been dead on.

opening morning of shotgun I shot a buck at 75 yards later that day I shot a doe at 140 yards and the doe I shot Friday night was 150 yards. Pretty wild, I have a range finder that is how I know the yardages.

Danny I was showing a student the picture of your recent duck hunt, and he said that he knew you. Last name Calvin.

4. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Great story!! :tu :tu

I guess I am going to have to find the time to write-up how BAD my first season went...

5. DANNY NEWELL

Jon
    Where do you teach at? It would either be Jake or Nick.

DANNY

6. Jon C

Princeville.....Nick came up to me today and said that ice destroyed his blind. I planned on taking him out goose hunting this season, but things just haven't worked out. Hopefully the ponds and lakes around here open up we'll see what happens.

Jon C

7. DANNY NEWELL

Jon
    Nicks a good kid.I used to work with his dad.They had blind 13 at Marshall
    where I hunt.Its on the south end, where the wind and ice can do a job on em.

DANNY