Zimmerman evidence barred in court???

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, May 28, 2013.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-george-zimmerman-trial?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

The judge is not allowing evidence in the trial which points to Martin's past history of violence or drugs...

Would love to hear from some of the law experts and LEO's as to how this evidence would not be pertinent?

2. summerjack

summerjack Elite Refuge Member

I love how they use an "undated" photo of martin prolly 9 years old in the picture...They got it in for Zimmerman and I am not sure why.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

No expert but does this follow the same line as a rape victims sexual past not allowed in to trial?

More likely it has to do with the judge not wanting Z to walk because if he does there may very likely be some rioting.

4. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

I think it is because of your first assumption.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman Senior Refuge Member

Its a racial witch hunt and he is taking the sharp end of the stick. They are going to nail this guy to the cross and paint him as a neo nazi skin head because he shot a black kid... That is what we have become America. I'm not saying the guy was wrong or right but I have always believed the truth is somewhere in the middle.

6. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

If Zimmerman gets a fair trial, it'll be a miracle. Ole Travon looks to be about 8 or 9 years old in that pic? Its funny how the press hasn't been able to get a more updated photo, huh. :rolleyes:

ncb

7. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

Should be able to get a MUG SHOT with a freedom of information request. That is if the police dept have not already destroyed them.

8. Swamp Warlock

Swamp Warlock Senior Refuge Member

It is called character evidence. The basic principle (very, very basic in this explanation) is that the jury should not hear bad things about a person's character if they are not relevant to the case. A made-up example: Say Martin was convicted of voter fraud by presenting a fake ID and voting underage. He may be guilty of the voting crime, but it's irrelevant to the facts of the shooting. The jury should not be allowed to hear about it, because this evidence has no purpose whatsoever, other than to make the jury think he's a bad guy.

That's why the judge excluded the drug history and other violent incidents. Whether or not you agree with the ruling, that is the reason for it.

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I can understand that logic... I could even agree that previous drug use should be barred...

But... if Zimmerman is making the claim that he was attacked in a violent assault, is it not pertinent to show that the victim/assailant had a history of violent assaults towards others???

10. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Zimmerman is a Barney Fife wanna be who was looking to play badass with any kid he could find. If someone had tried that with me 40 years ago or my son 15 years ago or most any one I grew up with they too would have been violently confronted. The jerk found what he was looking for and now it's time to pay for it. 40 years with no parole or time off in general population should do the trick.