Zinger Winger problem

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by lookingforducks, Sep 28, 2008.

1. lookingforducks

lookingforducks Senior Refuge Member

I took my winger out this afternoon and couldn't get it to work. My TT releases had just been charged and are usually good for a few days of training. When I push the release on the TT transmitter I can hear a faint click in the electronics of the Zinger Winger as if the contacts are moving. But not enough to move it to launch. I didn't have the time this afternoon to take it apart and see if anything was in there binding.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for your insights

2. peipl

peipl Refuge Member

Don't know about the Zingers but on some releases the plug ends that go into the electronic remotes will change to work with different types of electronics indicated wth a + or - on the plug. I've had the dog hit the wire and the plug comes out and not thinking just plug it back in, next time using the release with the plug in backwards the servo will try to run in reverse and you'll hear a click but it won't release.

3. Mike Boufford

Mike Boufford Elite Refuge Member

Unless Zinger changed their harnesses, you won't have a polarity issue.

Check to see if the catch will move over when the launcher isn't cocked and under load. Most likely there is some debris in there so you can give it a squirt of WD40, and see if you can get whatever is binding it out of there.

There is also a possibility that your harness is going bad. Some times those solder joints in the plug will break down, or the wire will begin to wear. I've replaced a couple of harnesses because I've buggered up the plug end in some way. Remember the wire that the launcher company uses is just speaker wire, and it's not a big deal to make a harness.

4. mildot1

mildot1 Senior Refuge Member

I just replaced the wire harness in my three gunners up winger's, kept getting cot or ripped off riding in the truck.
    Radio shack sell's a shielded 6' cable with the end on it for $3.99, I am pretty sure this will solve my problem for good.

I think the part# is 420-434

Brad

5. lookingforducks

lookingforducks Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. It is the servo. I tapped it and it turned loose. Then a few times of doing this the gears inside stripped. Looks like I'll need to find a suitable replacement or buy one from Zinger Winger.

JL

6. Mike Boufford

Mike Boufford Elite Refuge Member

Call Zinger and see what kind of deal Rob will give you. Remember that no matter where you get them the average servo has nylon gears and they all strip over time. You can get servos with metal gears but they are expensive.

7. oltcutdown

oltcutdown Elite Refuge Member

Had the same problem, they (ZW) will tell you to pull out the wires at the bottom of the winger and change/reverse them. They will work out of the box with Dogtra releases, but with TT, you have to switch the pos/neg wires. You change them and I bet you'll be in bidness. Scott