Zink decoys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by RNI, Feb 4, 2011.

1. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I own the jake, feeding hen, and upright hen. I've hunted over a buddies breeding hen. Here is my take. For my money, I'd pass on the breeding hen. It is a great deke and it will drive a tom nuts if you set the jake behind it. But it is very very low to the ground. So if you have any type of ground cover it will not be seen. I killed my bird with a bow last year and had the breeding hen out, but that was only because it was in a bean stubble field that was almost barren dirt so the birds could see it.

Personally, I think that the upright and feeder hens are just as deadly and offer more visibility. If I had to only buy two DSD dekes it would be the upright hen and the jake. Feeder next on the list. If I just had to have them all, then the breeder for certain situations.

My 2cents.

2. CutEmAll-Boyz

CutEmAll-Boyz Senior Refuge Member

Got to hold the Avian X feeding hen today for the first time and reports are correct....IT'S HEAVY but it seems very durable and VERY realistic. I'll wait till I can get it for $30 and then MAYBE!:tu

3. Big AL64

Big AL64 Refuge Member

I saw the zink hen at cabelas the other day. It is very realistic. I use inflatable dekes for run and gun but don't know if I would spend that much money on a inflatable that could get shot. Besides the blow up I use will fit in my vest pocket. The zink looks just as bulky as the she-mobil. I think it would work great for field setups, just not for my situation.

4. mr buckman

mr buckman Senior Refuge Member

The guys that complain about carrying a couple turkey full bodies have obviously never had to do a walk-in goose hunt with a few 6-slot bags over your shoulders. I consider carrying a couple turkey decoys a refreshing break :yes

5. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Just looked at the Zink for the 3rd time at the Cabela's in St. Louis. It's nice for sure, but at $80, I'm going to order a DSD feeder hen tomorrow from Mack's for $119 and free shipping!

mudhen

6. Big AL64

Big AL64 Refuge Member

Yes I packed in all season as we do not drive in the fields we hunt at all. But walking in a field is allot different than running ridges that are straight up and down. I also have a B-mobile that I take along. But with the inflatable hens you can pack a whole flock in your vest pocket. Works great for those ridge-top clearings

7. Sand Man

Sand Man Elite Refuge Member

I bought one the other day at Cabela's. Only time will tell on the valve holding air. I blew mine up tonight, and it's stayed inflated thus far. It doesn't take much air to blow it up. I like the fact I can bend it to fit in my turkey vest to carry and with a few breaths of air be hunting with it. I think it's one of the most realistic looking decoys on the market. My .02!

8. GA_LAB

GA_LAB Elite Refuge Member

I got one at the NWTF National Convention. I was talking to one of the sales guys and expressed my concern about the same thing. He hands me one that had 14 pellets in it from #5 shot Winchesters.

I have no regret buying it. It is certainly more easliy transported than a full body like the DSD, and cheaper. But, I dont use decoys all that often to begin with. If I am hunting fields or early spring woods with no foliage, I will use one then. Once it greens up, I dont carry one

9. duckman2000

duckman2000 Senior Refuge Member

that's where I got my dsd Jake and hen.cant beat the free shipping.I was going to get the zink but thought otherwise after checking it out at bass pro.feels and looks good but my concerns where 1 it getting shot and 2 they feel like the same material that a kickball is made out of and we all know that a kickball cracks after about 4 years of being out in the weather

10. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

How often do you hunt geese in the mountains??:dv