Zink goose call

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by tobydog, May 22, 2007.

1. Joel Draxler

Joel Draxler Elite Refuge Member

I had one for a short time but couldn't do much with it.

I prefer the Grounds calls or the Foiles more personally.

2. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

...are Great calls, but there are easier calls to blow. As someone stated earlier, the SR-1 has a long mouth piece. The shorter this distance is from your mouth to the reed, the easier it is to blow. I prefer the PM-1 over the SR-1 because of the smaller bell on the insert. I'm not sure how the length of the barrels compare but I like the PM-1 better.
    Some guys can really make the SR-1 sing so don't count it out. Find someone that can drive an SR-1 and try it out for yourself.
    Tuning is everything with a Short Reed and I'm sure that the SR-1 can be tuned to your liking. Just finding someone to do it is the problem.
    Good Luck,

Murph.

3. BIGHEST

BIGHEST Senior Refuge Member

I think the moan of the SR-1 is unmatched in any other call made! It is hollow, and when done right...DOWN RIGHT SPOOKY!!! I always keep an SR-1 on my lanyard and when I'm working a single or pair..that's what I pick up! Otherwise I blow my PM-1 for everything else. Fields, guiding, pits, water, everything. It's a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD call!

I feel that ZINK Calls all fit me and my style of calling...so, that's what I use!

4. RUSSELL HALLOCK

RUSSELL HALLOCK Elite Refuge Member

tobydog,

I will tell you up front that I am a Zink Pro-Staffer. Murph is correct that tuning has a lot to do with a calls performance.

In my opinion, I never hunt without an SR-1 on the lanyard. The design of the SR-1 allows a caller to create deep/hollow notes. I prefer my SR-1 when I am gunning geese over water and hunting small fields. The SR-1 also comes with a very good instructional video, The Ancient Art of Paralyzing. My favorite Zink Call is the Money Maker. The Money Maker will produce the sounds of a SR-1 but with a shorter mouth piece. The shorter mouth piece puts the reed closer to the callers mouth. This design allows the call to be more responsive. Another Zink call to consider is the LM-1. The LM-1 delivers the volume of a SR-1 but the call's tone is higher pitched then the SR-1 or the Money Maker. The mouth piece is still shorter then the Money Maker. The LM-1 will deliver quick high pitched notes that work great for little and big geese. If you would like to listen to sound files for the SR-1 or the LM-1, you can go to the link below.

http://www.zinkcalls.com/audio_clips.html

The best advice I can give anyone looking to purchase any call. Go to a local retailer or outdoor event and test drive the calls for yourself to see which one fits you and delivers the performance you desire.

5. evileye

evileye Senior Refuge Member

The Zink SR-1 Maple was the first short reed I ever bought. It is on my lanyard if that tells you anything. I think the video was very helpful too. I had Clay Hundall tune the call for me at the 2005 Easton MD. contest. I thought he did a great job and I have not played with the tune since.

6. supe577

supe577 Elite Refuge Member

I have had a few SR-1's liked them, not sure about the "takes too much air" if you tune them to your liking/level?? I dont know, maybe I am full of hot air.
    I think its a good call & it was one of my first high end call I bought!

The bell on the SR-1 really didnt fit my hand (too big) as well as the PC-1.

7. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

I think his best call is the little man. :tu

8. tobydog

tobydog Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for all of the replies....Ill just have to try one out. I have a PM-1 in poly but wanted something in acrylic.